Canyon strive or canyon spectral

Joe31
Joe31 Posts: 17
edited February 2017 in MTB buying advice
Hi looking to buy a new fs bike narrowed it down to the canyon strive or the spectral

Budget is £2500

Type of riding is a bit of everything really xc, trails, downhill and some small jumps

Worried that if I get a strive am I going to be overbiked due to weight and more travel or when I become more confident could the spectral hold me back but it is lighter and I would of thought it would be better on the climbs and flats also found a spectral with 150 at the front but thinking maybe the strive would be better all rounder.

Help any advice greatly appreciated

Comments

• I was having the same problem choosing between the Strive and Spectral but ditched them both for a Giant Trance bought from a local bike shop. The Trance is a totally amazing bike. Check out reviews on You Tube. Ive heard of some bad reviews about customer service from Canyon if you have any problems, that's why I decided local bike shop was best. Good luck
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Did you want your new bike for Summer or Autumn?

If its for summer then to quote Monty Brewster - "none of the above", look at the Giant Trance.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Joe31
    Just had a look at the trance nice bike but really prefer the look of the spectral think I'm going to go for the AL 6 Ex which is 2299 or the Al 7.0 which 2499 seems tho the 6 ex has 150 front 140 rear compared to the 7 with is 140/140 and the 6 is lighter and its £200 cheaper
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Better take up knitting or something until it arrives. Hopefully still this year.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Hi Joe
    pay no attention to the negative stuff, it's the same old rubbish. I got a Spectral just before Xmas and it came exactly when Canyon said it would (within 2 weeks of placing the order). I've just checked online and Canyon are currently stating up to 10 days for non-Germany deliveries for stuff that's in stock (which most of the Spectral are) - so not bad.
    At the same time I got the bike I ordered a dropper post for my other bike. It turned out to be too long and I had to return it. I contacted Canyon UK and it was sorted with no fuss and the money back in my account within a day of Canyon getting the post back.
    So from my point of view Canyon have been great so far. The Spectral is awesome - perfect all-round bike for me. But then I'm no "big drop" nut case.
    I don't know how good the Giant mentioned is - but what I can say is you'll not get a better spec'd bike for the money than the Canyon.
    Good luck with whatever you choose.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Canyon are well known for their dreadful customer service. I don't care how good the specs are I wouldn't buy one. Their frames are only average at best. If I was ordering a German mail order bike I'd go for a Rose or Solid. Both are equally good value and with excellent frames. Rose have decent UK support as well.
    Bird are also pretty close on value and known for their excellent service.
  • Joe31
    Thanks everyone for your advice
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    new airdrop's should be here end of march
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Davet1334 wrote:
    Hi Joe
    pay no attention to the negative stuff, it's the same old rubbish. .
    viewtopic.php?f=40013&t=13061894&p=20057577&hilit=canyon+delivery#p20057577

Rubbish? no.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.