Carbon frame respray, should I ?

galatzo
galatzo Posts: 1,295
edited February 2017 in Road general
Hi
Thinking of getting my Cannondale Supersix respayed and was looking for any advice or experiences.
Anyone had theirs done ?
How good does the average respray turnout ?
I appreciate its not going to look like a factory finish but I don't want it chipping and flaking with in a few months either.
Just looking for a single colour with contrasting graphics so nothing difficult.
Is Ebay the best place to get replacement graphics ? ('d like a UCI approved one to if anyone knows were to get them?)
I had Carbon Cycle Repairs in mind as they're quite local to me unless anyone else can recommend someone else in Derbyshire ?
25th August 2013 12hrs 37mins 52.3 seconds 238km 5500mtrs FYRM Never again.

Comments

• drwae
    drwae Posts: 223
    I would be interested to hear how this turns out if you get it done I have a Cannondale SuperSix EVO I would like to get repainted
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I've not had carbon resprayed but had steel done and it's as good as new. Not sure why it wouldn't ?

I think there's a thread about decals somewhere ?
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    edited February 2017
    Look at places like NoQuarter or Fat Creations. Better than factory!
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • galatzo
    Had a look at NoQuarter and emailed them too.
    Will have a look at Fat Creations too.
    Better than factory ? I`d be happy with as good as !
    Cheers
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Galatzo wrote:
    Had a look at NoQuarter and emailed them too.
    Will have a look at Fat Creations too.
    Better than factory ? I`d be happy with as good as !
    Cheers

Factory paint jobs are just quick and easy. These guys do a proper job.
    cromaworks also worth a look.

http://cromaworks.com
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • I posted a similar link few weeks back re getting my Foil resprayed. Names that have come up include:

KustomFlow
    Ooey
    Fat Creations

Not cheap though, but you can expect a much better job than factory. Re decals, most won't use decals, but will mask off logos and spray them- much better than decals, although if you want the Uci approved blurb, you might have to source that as a decal (but gawd knows why you'd want to detract from an awesome paint job with that superfluous drivvle).

The guy at KustomFlow has my vote- seems like a very helpful and decent chap. Some of the others haven't even bothered to reply to my email. He's' a busy chap though- taking names for orders around May/ April time I think!
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Can't understand why you don't think the finish will be as good as factory. How strange.

Good sprayer will also be able to supply, fit then lacquer over any decals you want. If you just slap them on top of the finished frame they will peel off and look manky.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • galatzo
    Can't understand why you don't think the finish will be as good as factory. How strange.

Good sprayer will also be able to supply, fit then lacquer over any decals you want. If you just slap them on top of the finished frame they will peel off and look manky.

Only because of my lack of experience with these things. I've never seen a respray close-up so assumed factory would have been best.
    Re decals I just wondered if I should be supplying them, again just lack of knowledge on my part hence asking the questions.

No Quarters website says 5-7 weeks which is way longer than I wanted to be without a bike although a friend at an LBS may be able to help me out and I've got an old TCR Alu due back from Majorca at the end of March, coupled with a shoulder op next week which will stop me riding for a fortnight then it's not sounding too bad.
  • mr_mojo
    mr_mojo Posts: 200
    My Colnago booked in with Cromaworks to be painted at the end of March. All dealings with John have been excellent. Can't wait!
  • Mr Mojo,

You going for original colour/s?
    Or something more bespoke?
    I have a Scott Foil, thinking of the matte flat black with some nice fine detailing in red or yellow...I'm not bothered about Scott decals...
    Let us see the finished product...Croma do look good, anyone dealt with KustomFlow??
  • mr_mojo
    mr_mojo Posts: 200
    Was thinking originally of the Colnago PR82 paint but now going for the Mapei World Championship.
  • gimpl
    gimpl Posts: 269
    Why have any logos or decals at all?

I've been thinking about this for a while and the appeal for me is having a unique bike with no manufacturer logos or any crap on it at all (apart from my Flandria name and country flag which looks pro :lol: ).
  • galatzo
    Tried some new wheels on it on Saturday and thinking I may stick with it as it is now as the wheels look great on it imo.
    Didn't ride them just put them on to see how they looked and the mat black/grey ceramic finish complemented the rest of it really well.
    DT Swiss PR1400 Oxic in case your wondering.

20170218_155114-1.jpg

20170218_155128.jpg

And these are the current wheels

20161113_093420.jpg