Garmin Vector Pedals - Loose

KevinA
KevinA Posts: 492
edited February 2017 in Road general
Having a nightmare just now with my pedals, I have the fixed cleats but find that when I click into to the pedals I am still able to move my shoe left and right which is now causing a bit of stress against my ankle.

Is it possible to tighten the grip on the pedal and if so where about?

Comments

• AK_jnr
    AK_jnr Posts: 717
    Thats the float in the cleat. Someone else will have to let us know if they do different cleats like Shimano do.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    These are Keo cleats.. what colour are you using?
  • KevinA
    JGSI wrote:
    These are Keo cleats.. what colour are you using?

Red
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    red cleats are not fixed. the fixed cleats are black. there is 9 degree of float in the red cleats.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • red cleats are not fixed. the fixed cleats are black. there is 9 degree of float in the red cleats.

They're Garmin Keo cleats supplied with the pedals so the red is a Look grey = 6 degrees.
  • KevinA
    red cleats are not fixed. the fixed cleats are black. there is 9 degree of float in the red cleats.

They're Garmin Keo cleats supplied with the pedals so the red is a Look grey = 6 degrees.

Im pretty sure I have changed the cleats after I got the pedals to Shimano SPD, I could be wrong though. Thanks.

I have a spare set of shimano fixed cleats that I bought for my new shoes so will give them a try and see if they differ
  • jgsi
    KevinA wrote:

Im pretty sure I have changed the cleats after I got the pedals to Shimano SPD, I could be wrong though. Thanks.

I have a spare set of shimano fixed cleats that I bought for my new shoes so will give them a try and see if they differ

SPD Sl cleats wont fit your Garmin pedals.... I'm getting confused now
  • JGSI wrote:
    KevinA wrote:

I'm starting to think this is yet another wind up thread. If the OP is confused about cleats and float then god knows why they have a PM.
  • KevinA
    JGSI wrote:
    KevinA wrote:

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/pro ... als-219869

Shimano do fit Vector pedals.
  • KevinA
    JGSI wrote:
    KevinA wrote:

I'm starting to think this is yet another wind up thread. If the OP is confused about cleats and float then god knows why they have a PM.

Not confused at all, I am asking if there is a way of tightening the grip on the pedal as I am almost 100% sure I have shimano cleats on one of my shoes (I have 3 pairs of shoes that I use so not 100% sure which cleats I have been using as its been a while since I changed them)
  • jgsi
    Turn the shoes upside down, see what colour the cleats are... and Google the blasted things.
    https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=shima ... e&ie=UTF-8
  • KevinA
    JGSI wrote:
    Turn the shoes upside down, see what colour the cleats are... and Google the blasted things.
    https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=shima ... e&ie=UTF-8

The colour of the cleats are only part of my question, question was;

Is it possible to tighten the grip on the pedal and if so where about?

I never actually asked anything about cleats, I stated that I have fixed cleats which I am almost 100% sure I do but still find my shoes able to move left and right.

It was people replying who decided to take the thread away from the original question and more about cleats, its not my first set of cleats I have had on the pedals but the problem of being loose is always a factor. I am merely asking if garmin vector pedals have a screw that could be tighened/loosened to make someones grip stronger/weaker.
  • http://static.garmincdn.com/pumac/Vector_2_OM_EN.pdf

Page no 2 (6 pages down?)

Same method for earlier version. adjustment screw is underneath the rear binding.
  • AK_jnr
    AK_jnr Posts: 717
    So you paid £100 and fitted the cartridges that let you use Shimano Ultegra (no others work) pedals?

Sorry, but if you are unsure if you have changed the cleats to Shimano I really doubt you would of been able to do that.
    By the sounds of it you have the red keo cleats with the float.
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    http://static.garmincdn.com/pumac/Vector_2_OM_EN.pdf

Page no 2 (6 pages down?)

Same method for earlier version. adjustment screw is underneath the rear binding.

That doesn't make them feel "looser" or tighter. The adjustment screw is just for how much force is required to unclip from the pedal... easier or harder.

If I was the original poster, I'd check to see if the cleats are not worn. When I fit a new pair of cleats to my shoes , my shoes feel they're clipped-in more tighter, especially when trying to unclip for the first few rides.

As far as Im aware the Garmin Vectors are a copy of Look Keo 2 max pedals. And you cant use Shimano cleats with Look pedals. No

The Look cleats come in 3 different colours

Black. 0 degree float
    Grey. 4.5 degree float
    Red. 9 degree float

http://www.lookcycle.com/en/pedale/keo-grip/

https://forums.garmin.com/archive/index ... 33851.html
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • Maybe that's why they are loose? The OP may have mistakenly used the wrong cleats... I'm a Speedplay user and thankfully there is just the one cleat essentially.
    I am tempted by the Garmin or Powertap pedals but he cleat thing is stopping me as I genuinely don't think Speedplay can be bettered,hence I have a Stages PM, but I'm open to persuasion .
  • KevinA
    Maybe that's why they are loose? The OP may have mistakenly used the wrong cleats... I'm a Speedplay user and thankfully there is just the one cleat essentially.
    I am tempted by the Garmin or Powertap pedals but he cleat thing is stopping me as I genuinely don't think Speedplay can be bettered,hence I have a Stages PM, but I'm open to persuasion .

Correct - Found my shimano cleats in the back of my bike box unused,

Sorted now, ordered fixed Garmin cleats