Giant Escape 3 to single speed ? Help

kavanini
kavanini Posts: 6
edited March 2017 in The workshop
Hi all i hope you can help,

After buying a Giant Escape 3 the other year just for commuting i find myself rarely using the gears at all, it's a flat route all the way with one small incline and even then i may only drop the gear once. I noticed Mango Bikes the other day and really like the look of them but before i make any purchase is it possible for me to convert my Giant into a single speed ?

I see on the Mango website you can purchase a chasewood crackset for £44.99, a Dicta Freewheel 16T or 18T for £7.99 and even a single speed chain for £11.99 is this all i would need ?

I have a Specialized Allez Sport Road bike for longer weekend rides so i only use the Giant to commute which is around a 7 mile round trip.

Sorry if this is a stupid question but i've never really messed around with bikes other than keeping them clean and oiled.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    They probably have horizontal dropouts, so the chain can be tensioned.

Your Giant presumably has vertical dropouts, so you'll need something to tension the chain, or a perfect chain length.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    They probably have horizontal dropouts, so the chain can be tensioned.

Your Giant presumably has vertical dropouts, so you'll need something to tension the chain, or a perfect chain length.

Thanks for the reply, yes I've researched a little bit more and it might not be worth the hassle. I will probably keep it as it is and eventually look to buy a single speed in the summer.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You can replace your chainrings with a single specific, the cassette with a single gear and use a tensioner, planetx sell everything you need for not much.

The Mango is an OK bike but not great, basic parts and sells on the colour options.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    You can replace your chainrings with a single specific, the cassette with a single gear and use a tensioner, planetx sell everything you need for not much.

The Mango is an OK bike but not great, basic parts and sells on the colour options.

Thats great, thanks for info, I will check out Planet X. Don't mind about the colour just want it lighter so if i can achieve that on the Escape then all is good.
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    Charlie has s/s kits and parts and is highly regarded:

http://www.charliethebikemonger.com/one ... -216-c.asp
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.