Anyone had this problem?

Elgor
Elgor Posts: 10
edited February 2017 in MTB general
Hi

I took the back wheel off to change brake pads a few days ago and when I put it back on iv noticed that when I backpedal in highest gear(biggest ring) the chain is jumping down a few rings, or the chain comes off completely! Am running 1 by 11 by the way, is this normal and is there anyway to stop it happening? Thanks

Comments

• JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    Have read that if the chain line is wrong it can cause this issue or a worn chain.

Have you re-indexed the gears? Hi-lo screw etc?
  • Elgor
    Had the bike in getting serviced and a new chain put on last week.
  • QR wheel?
  • Elgor
    Yes QR wheel
  • Probably indexing then. If you changed the tightness of the QR, or even loosened it then did it back up to what you thought it was, you can get slight changes in the rear drop-out width and if the indexing wasn't bang on before it might now be out enough for it to be catching while the chain is under a lower tension. Happens a lot more now with the reduced spacing in 10, 11 and 12 speed cassettes. Should take a few minutes to re-index.
  • I've found this on my XT 1x11 setup - even even when a new drivetrain was installed. I've got a boost rear hub (12m axle) and boost oval chainring and it is irritating when the bike is static and I'm cleaning the chain or wheeling it backwards in the house. That said, when riding, it's never been a problem. I did think about installing a standard (i.e. non-boost) chainring, just to tweek the chainline for the lowest gears, but when checking with Whyte directly they advised against this. Maybe I'll try next time...

I''ve seen plenty of people moaning about this on forums, so it seems to be an innate design compromise with 1x drivetrains.
  • Elgor
    Yeah iv looked at a few vids on YouTube and I think it's just 1 of the drawbacks of the 1 by setup, thanks for your advice.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Assuming you mean the big cog on the cassette which is the lowest gear it will generally shift as mech don't work backwards. It's normal.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • i have this with my full sus with 1x11, made it interesting / annoying backing the bike into the house after every ride till i got used to it.

now i just chuck the bike in the 4th cog down or thereabouts now before i get off the bike & then it reverses in the house fine then.

never noticed it being a problem when out & about but dont backpedal that much normally that i am aware of.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,300
    Elgor wrote:
    Had the bike in getting serviced and a new chain put on last week.
    It will happen more with a new chain as the chain wants to run in a straight line, a worn chain will be more tolerant of sideways movement. Indexing won't affect anything when turning the pedals backwards. As compuwhiz says just leave it in the middle of the cassette if you're doing anything that warrants backpedalling.