Cervelo S2 Set Up Help

KevinA
KevinA Posts: 492
edited February 2017 in Workshop
Hi Guys

I have a Cervelo S2 (http://www.wheelbase.co.uk/cervelo-s2-1 ... -2016.html) and I am wanting to start doing 100 plus miles and be able to tackle some step climbs that are around my area (30% gradients). My current set up is stock so I have a 11-28t in the rear, I struggled with the 30% gradient and had to turn back due to having no strength in my legs so looking to replace the rear cassette with a 32t.

Can you help me with the below items, would they be compatible with my bike and would I need to do anything other than buy (I am assuming I would need a longer chain)

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Shimano-CS-HG50 ... _83845.htm - 11-32 or 11-34 option
http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Shimano-105-10- ... _55502.htm - GS MAX32T size

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    Those are both 10 speed. For the 16' S2 shouldn't you be looking at 11 speed items?
  • Pretty sure that the 105 5800 maxes out at 32t. So you could stick one of those on but that depends on whether or not you have the long cage rear derailleur. Given that the bike is specced with 52/36 chain rings I'm guessing that you have the short cage derailleur that maxes out at 28t. You could perhaps use a goat link to get wider gearing from the same RD but things start getting a bit finickety from there on in.

Your other option is to swap out the chain rings to a compact set-up (50/36). This is straightforward, you'll have to adjust the front derailleur but that's no big deal.

At 52/36 with 11-32 cassette has a similar low gear to the 50/34 with 11-28 cassette.

If you want to really optimise your gearing for steep climbs you'll want to do both, so you'll need the 5800 long cage rear derailleur, compact chain rings, an 11-32t cassette and maybe a new chain to boot (or some extra links, couldn't really tell you until you try to fit it but it would also depend on how many miles you have on the cassette).

Hope this helps
  • KevinA
    Thanks for the reply, I got a reply from my LBS and they confirmed I would need a larger deraileur and a new chain to accomodate the 32t cassette

£40 to fit and £130-£150 parts
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Changing your cassette is easy. Plenty of vids out there. Save the cash on installation and learn to do it yourself if you must.

I'd not be splashing the cash just yet. Its early season. Are you fit yet ? I'll be doing 100 mile rides by summer - but not in February.

Are you new to cycling ? You probably just need miles and training in your legs. No amount of low gears will help you if you're not up to it.
  • hambini
    hambini Posts: 113
    Personally, I would see if you can build your leg strength up to turn the gears you have now.

One mistake a lot of people make is underestimate how quickly they will improve. They ended up buying the bits for the "starting position" and not the position after 2-3 months which is when you will probably hit your first plateau from training.

I am by no means an expert but I would actually consider buying the bits second hand because I think you'll "out grow" the easy gears very quickly
  • KevinA
    hambini wrote:
    Personally, I would see if you can build your leg strength up to turn the gears you have now.

One mistake a lot of people make is underestimate how quickly they will improve. They ended up buying the bits for the "starting position" and not the position after 2-3 months which is when you will probably hit your first plateau from training.

I am by no means an expert but I would actually consider buying the bits second hand because I think you'll "out grow" the easy gears very quickly

The problem isn't the one hill, its continuous steep climbs and by the time I've done them I don't have the energy or leg strength to carry on for another 30 - 50 miles.

I have a bianchi with a 29t cassette for building strength but want a bike that I can spin up hills and not grind.
  • hambini wrote:

Poor guy's got 30% hills. I'd be considering trading the S2 in for a motorbike.
  • hambini
    hambini Posts: 113
    Looking at DurianRider's latest video on Youtube, he has a 32T cassette on a short cage derailleur. Doesn't seem to cause any problems at all.
  • KevinA
    hambini wrote:

Poor guy's got 30% hills. I'd be considering trading the S2 in for a motorbike.

Yeah, it was tempting when I was half way up, Froome style also came across (running up the hill) 30% is a climb and its not short either.

Yeah seen that video as well, might try and fit the new cassette and chain but also concerned about the cabling for the gears.