Is this a good bike?

wintor
wintor Posts: 10
edited February 2017 in MTB buying advice
Hi, Im 17 and I have a shi*ty 100 euro bike that I use to go to the store when im too lazy to walk. But lately ive been going on small trips around town with some friends and this shit*y bike just isnt doing it... its slow and tiring to cycle, isnt strong enough to do any tricks on and looks like sh*t. So I have decided to spend the 400 euro I have on a new rly good bike. I dont usually go off road, but I do like to do wheelies and small jumps and stuff when im messing around with my friends (plus I hate how road bikes look)... so I have decided that the mountain bike is the one for me.

So what Im looking for is a 400 euro mountain bike, that is easy to do wheelies on and small jumps, but also is as fast as possible... Ive looked around some sites and I found this:
http://www.giant-dublin.ie/en-ie/bikes/ ... 87/101110/

Please tell me what you think, is it good for me? (from what ive told u im looking for)
Is it a fast mountain bike? Are wheelies easy on it? Is it strong enough for small jumps? And in general is it a good bike?

-Thanks so much :)

Comments

• schmako
    schmako Posts: 1,982
    If its mainly for just messing about and tricks why not something like the Mongoose Fireball?

I'm sure there will be other options similar to the Giant and Mongoose around the same price though.
  • Ok so I think I'll answer this in two parts. First wheelies and jumping is all to do with technique, any bike can do this whether it's £100-£3000+ yes a more expensive bike will likely take force of a jump better but still its technique. Speed is 90% fitness so again isn't really down to the bike. Yes you can get different gear ratios which give you more top end but your low end will likely struggle. Pretty much any bike at your price range will be fine.

Now the bike. Giants a great brand and are well made, however the spec on this bike is very poor but then what do you expect for 400 euros. I would recommend buying a second hand bike, you will probably get a lot more for your money. Ideally you want hydrolic disc brakes and air forks rather than coil. Now if the bike has these then everything else will likely have everything you need.

Why don't you try looking for one of the following bikes on eBay or something similar.

Voodoo bizango
    Voodoo hoodoo( has coil forks but still a good bike)
    Careera kraken

Or which I'm sure lots of people will mention, the Laura trott women's bike at Halfords. Yes it says women's bike but all that is different to a mans bike is the seat, get a Maddison flux seat for 25 euros and job done. The spec on this bike is very very good for the money and you could probably get one new.
  • wintor
    Ok so I think I'll answer this in two parts. First wheelies and jumping is all to do with technique, any bike can do this whether it's £100-£3000+ yes a more expensive bike will likely take force of a jump better but still its technique. Speed is 90% fitness so again isn't really down to the bike. Yes you can get different gear ratios which give you more top end but your low end will likely struggle. Pretty much any bike at your price range will be fine.

Now the bike. Giants a great brand and are well made, however the spec on this bike is very poor but then what do you expect for 400 euros. I would recommend buying a second hand bike, you will probably get a lot more for your money. Ideally you want hydrolic disc brakes and air forks rather than coil. Now if the bike has these then everything else will likely have everything you need.

Why don't you try looking for one of the following bikes on eBay or something similar.

Voodoo bizango
    Careera kraken

Or which I'm sure lots of people will mention, the Laura trott women's bike at Halfords. Yes it says women's bike but all that is different to a mans bike is the seat, get a Maddison flux seat for 25 euros and job done. The spec on this bike is very very good for the money and you could probably get one new.

Ok, thanks. Just wondering though, why are the specs on this bike very poor?
  • wintor
    Ok so I think I'll answer this in two parts. First wheelies and jumping is all to do with technique, any bike can do this whether it's £100-£3000+ yes a more expensive bike will likely take force of a jump better but still its technique. Speed is 90% fitness so again isn't really down to the bike. Yes you can get different gear ratios which give you more top end but your low end will likely struggle. Pretty much any bike at your price range will be fine.

Voodoo bizango
    Careera kraken

Also a guy told me Decathlon bikes are rly good, and recommended me this one:
    https://www.decathlon.ie/rockrider-540- ... 20355.html

What do you think?
  • wintor
    oxoman wrote:
    Rockriders are really good beginners bikes and the 540 is second in my list.

540 is out of stock :/
    520 is not, but id prefer to buy the 540 since its better and it has hydrolic disk brakes which i was told is rly good.
  • wintor wrote:

Voodoo bizango
    Careera kraken

The parts are pretty much the lowest end they do. The forks are have coils in rather than a more modern air fork which are far superior. Mechanical brakes again are old tech whereas hydrolic brakes once setup will brake better and need less adjustment.
  • wintor
    wintor wrote:

Voodoo bizango
    Careera kraken

The parts are pretty much the lowest end they do. The forks are have coils in rather than a more modern air fork which are far superior. Mechanical brakes again are old tech whereas hydrolic brakes once setup will brake better and need less adjustment.
    What do you mean "once setup"? Are you saying I need to adjust them or something? Cuz i dont understand anything about bikes, so i dont know how to "set them up"?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Cable disc brakes require frequent adjustment to make sure the pads are as close to the disc as they can be, too far out and it ruins the mechanical advantage between lever and pad and you loose braking, a really really easy job.

It also helps to make sure the calliper is aligned properly, again just a case of loosening two bolts and doing them back up carefully.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • wintor
    The Rookie wrote:
    Cable disc brakes require frequent adjustment to make sure the pads are as close to the disc as they can be, too far out and it ruins the mechanical advantage between lever and pad and you loose braking, a really really easy job.

It also helps to make sure the calliper is aligned properly, again just a case of loosening two bolts and doing them back up carefully.
    I could prolly google it to see how thats done exactly. Is there any specific name for that?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Adjusting them

What brake callipers? It's easy to describe the process.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • What we are saying is that if you buy a new bike from a bike shop the brakes should be setup already however mechanical brakes need constant tweaking so they are perfect. Depending on use hydrolic brakes shouldn't need adjusting much so less messing around.

But if you get a. Ike it's well worth learning how to maintain it.