Need advice on used road bike purchase

ahunt555
ahunt555 Posts: 3
edited February 2017 in Road buying advice
First off I am fairly new to road biking (2years in) and I am looking to upgrade to a full carbon road bike. I am hoping to just go with used for now and I have seen bikes out there for sale with up to 16,000 miles on them. What is considered high mileage and what should I look for? Any help is appreciated.

Comments

• Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    Imo most used bikes are way over priced.

Im always suspicious as so many adverts say "only ridden once", "done 50 miles" then they want basically the same price as brand new bike for a bike a few yrs old, so atleast the the 16K milage advert is being honest.

But then it will probably need alot of money spending on it as parts wear out drivetrain wheel hub bearings headsets, rims BB's etc.
  • Well the one bike I am really interested in is an Argon 18 Galium Pro with ultegra components and comes without the wheel set. The bike has been ridden about 15,000 miles but looks to be in good shape. The guys wants $1200 for it? Again with no wheel set.
  • drwae
    drwae Posts: 223
    Has it been well maintained and prepared for sale?
    i.e. has he done 2000 miles on that chain and brake pads and 5000 on the cassette, bearings etc etc. or has it all been changed out new bearings cables etc ready to be sold?
    If not add another £200+ to sort everything out
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Given this years model is about £3,200. So hardly used you might expect to pay £2,000 to £2,500. So $1200 with no wheels and 15,000 miles is a bit steep.