Saddle bag/Tool Roll

spasypaddy
spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
edited February 2017 in Road buying advice
Hi

My saddle bag after about 4 years is finally about to die. Im tempted by a tool roll for under the saddle.

The silica one is stunning but its £48!

Anyone using one and can recommend it?

Thanks

Comments

• I have used the Rapha one for a while... until I got fed up of bits falling off it...

I think rolls belong to the 1960s and I would leave them there... they look classy, but they are completely pointless
    left the forum March 2023
  • mostly
    mostly Posts: 113
    £48 is a reasonable night out at my age, I use one of these https://www.mackworkshop.com/products/road-roll
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Surely a bag is a bit less exposed to the elements than a roll ? I've a fizik one that hasnt let me down and a lezyne one too. Just need to decide what size you want. Its not rocket science and all it has to do is stay there and keep stuff in and weather out.
  • spasypaddy
    so a bit more research leads me to the barfly hopper bag. which would also allow me to take a tub when on my TT bike.

i like the idea of that (especially as an avid coffee drinker).

my fizik is the one thats dying, and im always worried that the clip is going to fail on me.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Don't you have a bag for each bike ? We always used to carry tubs just wrapped up in an old musette or something under ths saddle. A bag for it would be huge and way too big for other bikes ?
  • spasypaddy
    Fenix wrote:
    Don't you have a bag for each bike ? We always used to carry tubs just wrapped up in an old musette or something under ths saddle. A bag for it would be huge and way too big for other bikes ?
    nope, i have been using the fizik bag for ages with the clip (all my saddles are fizik) and it just moves from bike to bike in the summer.

in the winter/during the week i use a tool bottle and only really use my winter/commuter bike. so its not an issue.

this would be for when im away, racing or on a weekend ride in the summer at which point i transfer stuff from my tool bottle onto whatever bike im using.

So my TT bike has tubs so could use a wrap to carry a tub under the saddle.

oh and a bag for each bike would mean multiple sets of tools/tyre levers/co2 inflators.
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    Aldi bag on each bike they come with tools in em
  • Have you tried the Speedsleev? Have been using one for a few months now, perfectly happy with it's performance and it's easy to switch between bikes using a simple velcro strap.
  • The problem that I have found with most saddlepacks are that they aren't waterproof and so your multitool tends to rust over time. However, the ortleib micro saddle pack is brilliant as it is 100% waterproof, light, unobtrusive and cheap. I've had one about 6 years and its still great. Surprised I don't see more people with them TBH.

https://www.evanscycles.com/ortlieb-mic ... k-EV146600
  • borisface wrote:
    The problem that I have found with most saddlepacks are that they aren't waterproof and so your multitool tends to rust over time. However, the ortleib micro saddle pack is brilliant as it is 100% waterproof, light, unobtrusive and cheap. I've had one about 6 years and its still great. Surprised I don't see more people with them TBH.

https://www.evanscycles.com/ortlieb-mic ... k-EV146600

Yep, I have the bigger 2.7 L version and I am wondering the same thing
    left the forum March 2023
  • The other thing about the ortleib is that the closure is very simple - you just roll it up and secure with a couple of elastic straps. Other saddlepacks I've used have zips which just fail after a while, typically when you've got a puncture and want to get a tube. You can also get extra mounting kits so you can swap the saddlepack from bike to bike.
  • froze
    froze Posts: 213
    I'm not English and so I can't say that I like the roll look, but I guess it depends on how much you want to carry in it. Anyway I use and like the Topeak Aero Expandable Wedge bag, in the medium to large size it can expand or collapse with a zipper. I have two of them and one is 10 or so years old still going strong, even the Velcro strap still works fine. While it's not waterproof they do have a waterproof bottom so road spray from the tires don't soak everything inside; if I carry my phone I put it in a plastic bag just to be safe. I have a large and medium version of the Topeak, the large version I use on my touring bike and can literally fit a spare folding 27" tightly folded, along with a tube, mini tool, small folding pliers, a couple of tire levers, other odds and ends plus a meal bar. The Topeak has far outlasted any other brand of bags I've used, but granted I never used the real expensive ones, anyways these cost about $20.

https://www.evanscycles.com/topeak-aero ... s-00120691