I phone gps app

mickpc
mickpc Posts: 2
edited February 2017 in Road buying advice
Sure you've covered this before, but I couldn't find it, so apologies if this is a repeat of earlier requests, but...

Strava's failure to orientate itself makes it (for me, at least) pretty hopeless as a navigation aid. I attach my iPhone to the bars with Quadlock, and just want something that I can use in the way I'd use a traditional sat-nav, BUT I'd like to be able to plan routes at home, on the laptop first, and then save them to the phone.

Does anyone know anything that might work? Can you pre-plan routes with Google Maps and then follow that?

Really grateful for any advice.

Ta.

Comments

• wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    RideWithGPS might be what you want. With that you can plan routes at home and use the app on the bike for navigation. I think you can also have offline maps on the app.
  • The only potential problem might be battery drain with a smartphone, if you're going out on longer rides and depending on the age of your phone/battery.
    I have a Garmin Edge 25 - very small and basic but will do a turn-by-turn route pre-programmed via Garmin Connect. You can pick them up for around £80 I think (got mine at Aldi when on special offer for even less than that).
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    If you must use a phone and I seriously recommend against it, download cyclemeter to your iphone. It also has a livetrack function should you require it.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • hsiaolc
    hsiaolc Posts: 492
    Get an andoid phone and use google map.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    hsiaolc wrote:
    Get an andoid phone and use google map.

Yes that's logical; waste money buying another phone when there is a free app for the iPhone :roll:
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • You can pre-plan routes with Googlemaps now, very easy to use, just plan your route on your computer and then click send to phone (need to be logged into a google account on phone and computer to do this). I personally use the navigon app (actually owned by Garmin now) on long cycling rides when on holiday (I have maps for the whole of Europe on it). The downside is it only gives you basic stats and doesn't connect to all the sensors I have on the bike, so I will often run a cycling app like Panobike+ at the same time.