Using rim brake wheel on disc brake frame

The_Wicker_Man
The_Wicker_Man Posts: 338
Is possible to use a rim brake wheel on disc brake frame?
The only reason I ask is that spring is nearly here and I want to get my bike that I'm currently using on the kickr snap serviced and ready to use on the road. Ill then be putting my winter bike on the turbo but would rather use my training wheel as I can't be bothered switching tyres back and forth (I still use winter bike for commuting). So can this be done or will I have to buy a cheap disc brake wheel?

Comments

• Disc braked wheels are wider I think by about 5mm, so I would be surprised if it would fit properly.
  • Indeed, generally speaking the OLD of disc-brake rear hubs is usually 135 (QR) or 142mm (thru-axles) vs the standard 130mm.

I would think the dropouts of your frame would be too wide for a standard rear hub.
  • NeXXus
    NeXXus Posts: 854
    Won't fit
    And the people bowed and prayed, to the neon god they made.
  • Might fit.

I've got a Disc Equilibrium and a plain RS10 wheel for use on the trainer that works fine. You might just need to put a v.small washer under the locknut to bring it out a touch. And remember not to squeeze the brakes whilst there's no disc in place.

I've been running it like this since October and I haven't fallen off yet.
  • Will have a look if it fits. CX season almost over so might just use my cx bike on the turbo.