Chipped chainstay repair

Shav
Shav Posts: 10
edited February 2017 in Workshop
Hi,

I installed a new Hollowgram Si Crankset on my Cannondale Supersix Evo. I've had a few occasions when shifting to the smaller chainring that the chain becomes snagged on the chainstay and the result can be seen here: https://1drv.ms/i/s!AnxxeTmvKEGui_E-pBci4xRD8prILA

The epoxy has been chipped off but looks like the carbon underneath is fine.

Can anyone recommend how to repair? Did a quick Google search and seen nail varnish and Araldite mentioned.

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Nail varnish has always worked for me. I have one bike where a nail varnish repair over a chip is still holding up fine about 15 years later.

Just make sure you first clean the area you're patching - don't use acetone as it can attack both paint and epoxy, shellite or equivalent will do the job without damaging the surrounding paint or the C-F.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Yup - nail varnish will do nicely.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I'd be less concerned with doing my nails and more concerned with working out why front shifting keeps dropping the chain...
  • Contact Rob Hayles on twitter. He fixes carbon fibre frames. ( i.e. Former Olympic track cyclist )
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    And for that superficial chip he'll say nail varnish or touch up paint from Halfords.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Only trying to help