commuting wheels

Hurricane Warrior
Hurricane Warrior Posts: 147
edited February 2017 in Road buying advice
Which wheels have you found to be the best for commuting on the road, with a Genesis Equilibrium?
Jamis Xenith Endura Sport 2012
Boardman Race 2013
Genesis Equilibrium 2014 (Built myself)
Boardman Comp MTB 2016

Comments

• mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    Disc or no disc?
    What's your budget?
  • Good point sorry lol, but thanks for mentioning it

No Disc, I was thinking no more than £150 each, unless for a tad more there is a much better option?
    Boardman Race 2013
    Boardman Comp MTB 2016
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    What roads? Urban, rural, cobbled? Mine are a mixture of all 3 and I use 4 spoke carbon Spinergy tubular and Carbonzone 50mm tubular with no problems.

In the past I have used Aksum and Kyserium Elite, again with no problems.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    Have a look at Fulcrum Racing 5 or 7, preferably the LG CX models.

Some of the Shimano RS wheels are pretty well regarded for durability.

Or better still, handbuilts eg
    http://thecycleclinic.co.uk/collections ... r-wheelset
  • drwae
    drwae Posts: 223
    I used Shimano RS10s for commuting Mon-Fri for over a year in all weather then I took up cycling as a sport rode around 1000km on them just upgraded a couple of weeks ago and managed to sell on the RS10s for £30 which is about a third of the new price bearings were still smooth after two years even though I never touched them. I had the rear wheel trued once
  • I've got Fulcrum Racing 7s since the new year and have done 600 miles, mainly commutes, so far. I looked around basically for something that was relatively well reviewed and that was thought to be robust. They are a comfortable enough ride on my Defy and while they take a bit of time to roll up to speed, that's not really a concern for me on my commuter, in fact it only serves to make me stronger on the summer flyer!
  • Thanks guys I was looking at getting some fulcrums, then last minute thought I've two wheels that I've tried to repair, not successfully I might add, took them to the LBS and and the cost of £65 now have two commuter wheels which I thought wasn't bad esp as they are only for commuting.

Appreciate the advice and will definitely come in handy when I do purchase some new ones
    Boardman Race 2013
    Boardman Comp MTB 2016