Mountain Biking with a Backpack

Katyc
Katyc Posts: 5
edited February 2017 in MTB buying advice
Hi everyone

I will be doing an MTB skills course in a few weeks which is around 6 hours long. I usually only go out for an hour or two so I do not take a backpack. I was wondering if there are any major differences with a running backpack compared to a cycling one? I have the ASICS Lightweight FujiTrail Backpack (for running) which has a 1.5l hydration reservoir. I am wondering if using this will be fine? My intention is to start going on days out more, hence unsure whether to just buy a cycling specific bag or if it doesn't really make a difference? I did try google but couldn't see anything specific.

Thanks

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    It should work fine, just might be a little small for 6 hours, depending on how hot you get.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • A six hour skills course will include a lunch break, so you should hopefully be able to refill if needed so should be fine
  • Katyc
    Thanks for your replies. So it's just the size and not the practicality that I need to worry about (wasn't sure if there was a necessity for a "bike specific" bag). Good to know. Thanks again! :)
  • Katyc
    Just to confirm, my main concern is practicality of the bag style and size (not the bladder size) as I have a drinks cup too. (Sorry if not clear, please bear with me - im a newbie!) :lol:
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    Well it is all a bit theoretical as you have not actually said what size of bag you are proposing to use. We are making the assumption that it will be ok.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I'm guessing its this one (or older model)
    http://www.asics.com/gb/en-gb/fujitrail ... 42051.8130

Will be absolutely fine, I have a similar sized one for UK use and a larger one for overseas when I carry more supplies.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Katyc
    Yes TheRookie, that's the one, Glad you think it'll do the job! :)

FishFish I wanted to know if a running back worked as a cycle bag (not of the size is ok), I guess I'll get something bigger (and more waterproof) eventually
  • Well, generally any backpack is usable on a bike, but the bike specific ones are more comfortable when in riding position. Mine only presses on my upper back and doesn't touch my lower back, which I'm very thankful for. I used to ride with a normal hiking backpack and I hated it precisely because of that aspect.
    But again, the function is fulfilled and it is ill-advised to buy new gear unless you know what exactly you dislike about your current setup. In other words, go out riding with your current backpack and if you don't like it, get a cycling backpack.