Articulated lorries in cycle lanes

navt
navt Posts: 374
edited February 2017 in Commuting chat
Well, that was scary. I've seen the videos of PHVs and emergency vehicles in cycle lanes but not what I witnessed today.

I was on my motorised two wheels this morning. Junction of Southwark Street waiting to turn right onto Blackfriars Bridge. Articulated lorry with long load at the head of the queue so I hang back. Lights go green and he takes a wide right turn as you'd expect him to do only he proceeds into cycle lane. WAFI. Bunch of cyclist at red lights have to scramble for safety. Lorry driver obviously can't see them. All I could do was blast my horn to get attention. Lorry eventually stops realising mistake. Hope all cyclist are OK.

Things like that would put me off cycling.

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,294
    Big lorries should not be allowed in central London during peak times, utterly ridiculous.
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Big lorries should not be allowed in central London during peak times, utterly ridiculous.

Agreed, the police are always telling us to watch out cos of their massive blind spots. no one seems to say 'well why are they allowed on the roads then? (many of which are based on medieval London)'
    FCN = 4
  • daddy0
    daddy0 Posts: 686
    Veronese68 wrote:

This.
    (just wanted to add my voice)
  • navt
    navt Posts: 374
    Yup. Deadly by design.

And we know they can be safer by design too. But until then, stay safe and stay away from them.