BB30 Upgrades and Shimano 105 5800 Crankset

Lodestone1968
Lodestone1968 Posts: 5
edited February 2017 in Workshop
I have the 15 Cannondale SYNAPSE ALLOY DISC 5 105 C 54 RED on layaway. I am interested in replacing the BB30 bottom bracket with a direct fit module. This is the link for the BBInfinite http://www.bbinfinite.com/products/bb30 ... it-shimano. Alternatively, Praxis makes a different product https://www.praxiscycles.com/conversion-bb/ (Very much leaning towards the BBInfinite product)
I'd like to avoid any issues with creaks on the BB30. I've read this noise issue is more common on the carbon frame bikes. However, I'm a heavier rider and want to beef up the bottom bracket with the alloy frame and go with the beefier Shimano crankset. The bike I have on layaway uses the FSA Gossamer crankset. I want to complete the 105 gruppo with a Shimano 105 5800 crankset. (This would make the bike a full 105 setup)
Additionally, any input on crank length and standard versus compact crankset. The bike currently has the FSA Gossamer 50/34. I have very strong legs and will not be hitting many hills, so I am looking at the pros and cons of standard versus compact. I am starting to really enjoy some of the technical aspects of cycling. I realize I am not a world class cyclist and not buying a high-end bike so these changes really won't make a huge difference. But, I am excited about the bike and want to make some upgrades as part of the fun of cycling.
I feel I have done my research and hope I am not too far off the mark. I’m still very much a novice and would appreciate your honest opinions.

Comments

• drwae
    drwae Posts: 223
    I can't speak for the products you're considering but I went from the stock BB30 on a Cannondale SuperSix EVO to a Wheels Manufacturing PF30 bb and this eliminated creaking that I was experiencing before
    Crank length I went from 175mm FSA Omega to 172.5mm SRAM Red22 and didn't notice any difference whatsoever with regard to the crank length and pedalling
    I also went from a compact to standard and I can manage but I do miss the compact on hillier terrain - when my cassette wears out I will go from 11-28 to 11-32
    Hope that helps a little
    The reason I went to SRAM Red22 although the rest of the bike is 105/Ultegra is because it comes in BB30 without any adapter required
  • Thanks drwae
    My LBS was questioning why I wanted to change things out so quickly. Part of it is the fun of customizing it and making it mine. The other part is the concern about noise and misaligned BB30. One of the things I enjoy about bikes better than Walmart variety is the quality, reliability, and lack of clicks, creaks, and pops.
  • hambini
    hambini Posts: 113
    I've used the praxis one on my BMC time machine - carbon frame BB30. It creaked.

I ended up making my own Bottom Bracket because I got so ticked off at the creaking, it drove me nuts.

Personally, I believe one piece is the way forward but note if you ever want to take the bbinifinte one out, you will need an air hammer and on a carbon frame that could crack it.

Here's a video I made about BB30, it's long but it covers everything and also fitting shimano cranks.

https://youtu.be/7gxTmL5m9PU

And if you interested in design methodology

https://youtu.be/b5E3nDLUu4M
  • Hambini

Thank you, I've seen your channel before. I owe you some likes, shares and a subscribe. Appreciate the feedback greatly.
  • hambini
    Thanks for the comments.

The very basic problem is one of cost. These frame manufacturers seem to do the drilling of the bottom bracket in two stages, ie drill one side and then flip it over and do the other. This screws up the alignment and you are forever trying to fix it.

If they drilled from one side only, the misalignment would be minimized and the creaking would probably never occur. Unfortunately, time is money and that is why they skimp.

This is also why some people have no problem with creak, yet others do. It's dependent on how accurate the hole is.
  • Subscribed to your newsletter and your YouTube channel,
    You have some quality looking products.
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    I was watching that thinking wow, that's some significant machining to do with a black and decker :'D

I was almost relieved to find out you're an aerospace engineer! Great video though, very clear and elegant solutions to the problem too. Thanks
  • I used the Praxis unit and I too had creaking.

Been using standard BB30 bearings fitted with loctite bearing retainer at installation, as well as wheels MFG BB30 to 24mm derlin reducers and not had one creak since in 3 years
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,523
    I've just had a full 105 11sp groupset fitted to my 2011 CAAD10 with the praxis and so far so good. Only done a few hundred K so far, but all seems sold enough at this stage.
  • hambini
    johngti wrote:
    I was watching that thinking wow, that's some significant machining to do with a black and decker :'D

I was almost relieved to find out you're an aerospace engineer! Great video though, very clear and elegant solutions to the problem too. Thanks

LOL, I think it would be the equivalent of painting the mona lisa on paint!
    I used the Praxis unit and I too had creaking.

Been using standard BB30 bearings fitted with loctite bearing retainer at installation, as well as wheels MFG BB30 to 24mm derlin reducers and not had one creak since in 3 years

Did you have any issues with the amount of preload you had to put on between the fixed end and the turning end. I thought I was going to break my BMC frame when the instructions said "wait until you feel the stop".

I have got an Aluminium BB30 to Shimano BB made. I just don't want to put it out in the market for fear of it tarnishing my name - it doesn't have the same level of stiffness as the PF30 and BBright ones - this is due to the smaller diameter BB30 shell. To get around this issue on my BMC, I simply made it out of Titanium :D If anyone is interested in trying one an aluminium one. drop me a line!
  • proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    I fitted an FSA BB30/BSA adaptor to my CAAD10 and it worked perfectly. Easy to fit, can get it out if you need to, no creaks and cheap as chips.

prod129935_IMGSET?wid=500&hei=505
  • hambini wrote:
    johngti wrote:

LOL, I think it would be the equivalent of painting the mona lisa on paint!
    I used the Praxis unit and I too had creaking.

Did you have any issues with the amount of preload you had to put on between the fixed end and the turning end. I thought I was going to break my BMC frame when the instructions said "wait until you feel the stop".

I have got an Aluminium BB30 to Shimano BB made. I just don't want to put it out in the market for fear of it tarnishing my name - it doesn't have the same level of stiffness as the PF30 and BBright ones - this is due to the smaller diameter BB30 shell. To get around this issue on my BMC, I simply made it out of Titanium :D If anyone is interested in trying one an aluminium one. drop me a line!

I do remember having to tighten the Praxis ridiculously tight. To be fair to them when I contacted them for help with the creak they eventually gave me a full refund.

I always thought that the wheels MFG adaptors worked so well was because there was no metal on metal contact between the crank and the bearings. Are the ti ones quiet?

I bought a BB30 press/removal tool from yourself recently, good work BTW!