Post mount - Flat Mount

vrsmatt
vrsmatt Posts: 160
edited February 2017 in Workshop
Hi

I have a Giant Defy 2015 with post mount disc brakes, i've been offered a set of very cheap hydraulic disc brakes by a friend but they are flat mount.

Will they fit or will i need an adapter or will they just not fit at all?

Cheers
Giant TCR Composite 1, Giant Defy Advanced 2, Boardman Comp, Santa Cruz Heckler, Raleigh M-Trax Ti, Strida LT, Giant Halfway

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    They won't fit. The other way round can be made to work, ie post mount calipers on a flat mount frame/fork, but the post mount on the frame/fork is too far out to be adapted for a flat mount caliper with a reasonable rotor size.
  • vrsmatt
    Cheers
    Giant TCR Composite 1, Giant Defy Advanced 2, Boardman Comp, Santa Cruz Heckler, Raleigh M-Trax Ti, Strida LT, Giant Halfway
  • buy a post mount set for road, remove the flats, connect, bleed, done, sell the flats on ebay. oh, you have good friends!
  • vrsmatt
    tsarouxaz wrote:
    buy a post mount set for road, remove the flats, connect, bleed, done, sell the flats on ebay. oh, you have good friends!

Yes thats what i'm going to do, have sourced a set of post mount calipers, (can still get most mtb calipers post mount, they are the same)

My friend bought a new whole bike to get the frame and is making his money back selling the components, cheap bits for me and an almost free frame for him

Happy days