Frame Sizing

Snowblind
Snowblind Posts: 75
edited February 2017 in Road buying advice
Hi all,

I'm 5'10 and typically am fit for a 54cm frame. Can anyone say what issues I may experience (if any) with a 56cm frame? Will the 2cm extra really make a difference?

Comments

• diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    The top tube could be too long and you could feel too stretched. You need to give more info with regards to the geometry of the bikes you are considering.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Snowblind wrote:
    Hi all,

I'm 5'10 and typically am fit for a 54cm frame. Can anyone say what issues I may experience (if any) with a 56cm frame? Will the 2cm extra really make a difference?

Longer top tube, taller head tube can all make quite a difference..
  • grahamcp
    grahamcp Posts: 323
    Not all frames are the same, some may feel longer, or taller (in the front end). You don't mention why you are considering a larger than usual frame - that would be useful information - is it a bargain 56 or something?

Re sizing, a big topic but 2 of the key measurements to start with are stack, and reach - compare new bike with what you are used to to get an idea how different they might be. Vid here is useful explanation to begin with https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfx3LqsCFSA
  • Thanks for the replies.

It is a bargain 56cm. It's an ultravox ti frame a mate of mine is selling. I'm sure he would let me try it out, but I'd feel bad building the bike up if there was likely to be an obvious issue.

My current frame is a Merida Carbon Comp 93 which I've had for about 3 years. It was my first road bike and I'm looking for something more racey.

The following are the stack and reach measurements I've just looked up.

M L
    Ultravox stack: 549 572
    Ultravox reach: 388 394
    Merida stack: 567 587
    Merida reach: 378 376

Between the Merida M (current frame) and the Ultravox L, it looks to be a 5mm longer stack and a 26mm longer reach.
  • drwae
    drwae Posts: 223
    If it's a really good deal, and you really want it, you can make it work. I'm just a little bit taller than you (5'11) and I ride a 58cm bike which I actually bought brand new (idiot at Evans Cycles told me I needed to buy the 58cm based on my inseam). I have made it fit me with: narrower handlebars, shorter stem, rotated the handlebars up just a little bit, and saddle position all the way forwards.
    Consider if it will still be such a good deal with having to buy new handlebars and stem on top.
  • 26mm longer reach?

If you've been riding the Merida for three years and are comfortable with its reach, then I'd walk away.

"Racey":- lower drop. Maybe 10mm longer in the reach.

'Make it work', involves running a very short stem (if it works for you at all).

Better to spend your money on a frame that fits from the go.