Gabba 3?

londoncommuter
londoncommuter Posts: 1,550
edited February 2017 in Road buying advice
Just spotted there's a Gabba 3 (apologies if I'm miles behind on this). What's the deal? Seems just to be in Sky colours at the moment but oddly it's only £82.50 for pre-order at Tredz which is loads less than the 2:

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Castelli-Team-S ... 102159.htm

On a tangent, when do you lot actually wear yours? Slightly struggling to see when a water resistant but arm less jersey would work for me. I'm clearly wrong as everyone loves them but if the weather looks a bit crap then I'd wear long sleeve. Seems a bit tiresome having to wear the matching arm-warmers. Are they just for warmish weather with rain maybe forecast? With rain on the cards I'd also use a mudguard kitted out bike so don't care about long rear flaps. Finally, I wouldn't want to wash it all the time (typically never wash jackets just the baselayer under it). What am I missing?

Absolutely finally, there was a great deal on the Gabba 2 for £56 last week at AlwaysRiding but they've run out. Any similar deals out there?

Should have gone for a ride this morning as I'm going to end up spending money on something I don't need......

Comments

• grenw
    grenw Posts: 804
    I wear mine when it's a bit misty/drizzly or just plain damp. Pair it with some nanoflex arm warmers if it's a bit chillier. It's more something to wear if you're picking up the pace for an hour or two and generating your own heat. No good for those longer rides IMHO. I've a long sleeve one as well which I wear in pretty much the same weather but when the temperature is a few degrees lower.

I tend not to wash them every ride. I always wear a base layer underneath as well. When I do I use the Nikwax stuff.

Regarding that Gabba 3. Still not cheap enough...

https://www.castelli-cycling.com/Produc ... 400708617P

'We’ve slightly tweaked the fit and improved the drop tail and pockets, but otherwise we’ve kept with the winning formula of warmth, breathability and water repellency'
  • Doesn't seem to be any reason, if you like the Gabba, not to opt for the 2 over the 3. Nothing revolutionary there. Find a deal.

They've ' updated' the Perfetto range as well.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    I'm wondering if there's a new Alpha jacket in the pipeline. I had a stock alert set at Wiggle as the colour I wanted was out of stock, but they've now emailed to say they won't be getting any more in.
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    GrenW wrote:
    I tend not to wash them every ride. I always wear a base layer underneath as well. When I do I use the Nikwax stuff.

'[/i]

You would be better off using a spray on DWR applicator just on the outside surface (I use grangers), I suspect coating both inside and out in Nikwax isn't doing much for your gabba's breathability.
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 804
    Stueys wrote:
    GrenW wrote:

'[/i]

You would be better off using a spray on DWR applicator just on the outside surface (I use grangers), I suspect coating both inside and out in Nikwax isn't doing much for your gabba's breathability.

I meant the Nikwax wash not the treatment. I use the spray on softshell stuff to re-apply as you suggest.
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    MrB123 wrote:
    I'm wondering if there's a new Alpha jacket in the pipeline. I had a stock alert set at Wiggle as the colour I wanted was out of stock, but they've now emailed to say they won't be getting any more in.
    I wouldn't be surprised, with new mahoosive reflective detailing at the back, given that seems to be main crtitiscm of the Appha jacket and jersey.
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • So picked up a short sleeved Gabba 2 for just £56. Maybe could be slightly smaller but I can live with it.

Still wondering when I'll wear it rather than a "normal" jersey with or without baselayers/arm warmers for summer, Assos S7 for spring/autumn and a winter jacket (for winter obviously). Hmm.
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    GrenW wrote:
    Stueys wrote:
    GrenW wrote:

'[/i]

I meant the Nikwax wash not the treatment. I use the spray on softshell stuff to re-apply as you suggest.

Ah, ok. Sorry I read Nikwax and always assume their wash-in stuff
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    Gabba 3 is claimed to be tighter fitting and has slightly different pockets;
    I find short sleeve much more versatile, i can wear thin arm skins or proper Nano Flex, or nothing at all if not too cold;
    Material is not very nice to wear directly against skin, but noone should be riding without a baselayer, anyways;
  • Vague feeling I've seen comments on here about Castelli going downhill in the quality department but I tried on another Gabba 2 last night and it's (happily) a completely different fit! Snugger on the neck, arms and chest which is great for me but you kind of assume a red Small is the same size as a black Small!

Good for me in this scenario but I'm a bit sad still as I was really after a Perfetto but found it too baggy. Maybe I should have ordered 10 and tried them all on.....