Cycle insurance which insures original price?

alire
alire Posts: 13
edited February 2017 in Road buying advice
I'm a new cyclist.

I am going to get a cyclocross bike from Evans for just less than £1000 and accessories. I'm mostly concerned about my bike here though. {Though if accessories can also get covered, then great!}

I spoke to the Evans guy instore and he said their insurance likely (he wasn't too sure) covers the price of the bike when it gets stolen and not the original price. As I understand, this is exactly how car insurance works as well. Others I have spoken to have said the same, that this is the norm. And Halfords unfortunately don't even offer any kind of insurance. At least that was what the employee instore said.

So I pay £1000 now and 1 year later, if it gets stolen and I pass all their rigorous checks to prove I'm not ripping them off and it was actually stolen, they will insure the price of the bike as it is when it gets stolen. This is disappointing to say the least. I would at least hope they'd offer price-matching gift cards for a new bike. This is how I'd expect insurance to work. Is this unreasonable? (Not a rhetorical question).

Does anyone know if I can get a price-matching insurance from a third party? Is this even offered anywhere? If not, why not? I'd hope with the high crime rates insurance policies would be more considerate of cyclists' wallets. I don't want to get £400 for a new bike if it ends up getting stolen. You can't even get an average cyclocross for that much, maybe a really low quality one. Plus, this kind of policy would just deter others from becoming cyclists. Maybe unless security was to improve but that's a different issue.

This is my post/ question. I have reposted it at http://bicycles.stackexchange.com/quest ... f-the-bike