Torque Wrenches

redvee
redvee Posts: 11,922
edited February 2017 in The workshop
How should you store them? I've got a Planet X £30 offering and used it to tighten the disc bolts up today and before I put it away I wound the tension off. Right or wrong or doesn't matter?
I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Always wind the tension off, sure it doesn't matter for a while but over time (years) it does.

Cool dry place reduces the chance of corrosion on the sprung steel components which are always susceptible.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Always reset to zero when not in use

DON'T use them as a ratchet handle with it set to zero

Before tightening something expensive after it hasn't been used for a while, check it still clicks on something cheap (or a vise)!
  • greenamex2 wrote:
    Always reset to zero when not in use

DON'T use them as a ratchet handle with it set to zero

Before tightening something expensive after it hasn't been used for a while, check it still clicks on something cheap (or a vise)!

This is what Norbar say.

http://www.norbar.com/Portals/0/Wind%20 ... 20Blog.pdf
  • Interesting article.

Would have been nice if they could have tested over a longer term - I have torque wrenches that get used less than yearly!

I guess the most important recommendation from the report to extract for an irregular user like myself is -

If it is convenient to wind your torque wrench back to its minimum scale setting then you should do so but never wind it below the minimum marking on the scale
  • mr_evil
    mr_evil Posts: 234
    I inherited an old automotive torque wrench which had been left at a medium torque setting. I don't know exactly how long it had been since it was last used, but it was probably on the order of 30 years. I tested it against a new torque wrench, and it was very close. The new torque wrench was uncalibrated, so it was not an accurate test, but it convinced me that it's not the end of the world if they are left without setting them back to 0.