replacing rivets

mjmottram
mjmottram Posts: 10
edited February 2017 in The workshop
Hi,
My slightly mistreated Giant Defy has three rivets that are no longer usable - one rack mount point that sheared off, both (!) front derailleur mount points loose. I can deal with the first one, but obviously I need to get the derailleur ones sorted ASAP. Was wondering what the best way to remove the old rivets is (given that the derailleur mount is still loosely screwed in, with both screws just turning the rivets round and round in their holes) and whether anyone could recommend a bike shop (pref east London) who would be able to install new rivets, as I've yet to find one that is able to do this!
Cheers!

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    So you mean 'rivnut' or 'nutsert' I presume?

Drill out, treat exposed metal edge, insert a new one, any decent bike shop or fabrication shop can do it or you can buy the kit online to DIY.

Or you can bodge it by squid going epoxy in round the edge so it holds in place!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Yeah, I guess I didn't realise that most braze-on brackets are riveted on. Giant (on the Defy at least) use riv-nuts. I'll probably go the route of taking it to an LBS who can actually fix this, but in case I do buy a tool (e.g. something like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-633 ... B01N31JXU9), could you explain what you mean by "treat the exposed metal edge"? Also, is it really as simple as drill out old one (or carefully cut off head), insert new aluminium rivnut of correct size, use tool to clamp on?
    Thanks!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Once you know the size of bit required for the insert, use that drill and it will take the head off the old one and the rest drop off inside.

Treat the exposed edges with some paint to help prevent corrosion (assuming it's metal and not carbon).

Yup, that's the puppy, plus some inserts as well obviously.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.