which wheels??

bikerbirch123
bikerbirch123 Posts: 5
edited February 2017 in Road buying advice
Hi all, new to this forum.
I have just purchased a look 765 which relagates my Boardman team carbon to a winter bike. I have recently acquired a brand new set of planet x CT 45 carbon clinchers.
My question is... Do I put these on the look to replace the mavic aksiums that come with the bike or are the mavics better or worse. I appreciate that the wheels are different but I think the weight is about the same.
Many thanks in advance to all you knowledgeable people. If its not worth it I'll sell the planet x wheels.
Thanks

Comments

• I'd have said the most obvious answer was as you have both sets of wheels why not try them both out and report back.
  • Yea thought of that, I just thought that if I used the planet x I would devalue them if I sold them. But may just do that.
    Thanks.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    There's a good argument to keep both. Planet X to go on the Look for dry weather and use the Aksiums if you want to take the Look out in the wet or put them on the Boardman when your present wheels are knackered.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    The Mavics are generally reckoned to be an "OK" set of wheels. Not great, not bad. Loads of better options out there, particularly in wider rim/profile, etc., and the freehub is never that far from death. Then again, I had an old front one kicking around, stuck it back on my bike a few weeks ago (along with an old RS80!) and it wasn't too bad but couldn't wait to get my 'best' wheels back from being rebuilt. Moral of the story (because I am rambling), you have some Mavics, most folks will say they are OK, me included, but if you have a brand new bike that is going to be the best bike, why on earth would you run it with Aksiums?
    Weather is crap, leave the Mavics on the old bike and ride that for now whilst you um and ahh over the options. Only you can work out if 45mm carbon clinchers are the best option for the new bike given what you have told us. If you want some more pertinent advice you will have to give a bit more, like typical riding (group/solo, parcours, intended use...TT?, etc.).
  • Ok great, many thanks. I have fulcrum racing 3's on the Boardman so they are good to stay for a while. I do about 200 km a week which is mostly commuting and leisure. Got a 78 mile sportive for charity at the start of April. Basically I ride as much as I can.
    I think I will give the carbon clinchers a go and keep the mavics as back up for the Boardman.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Magics for rubbish weather, sell the Planet Xs and buy some carbon deep rim tubular - using those planetx s on the Look is like putting remoulds on a Ferrari.

Then again, the Boardman is really nice, so P/X on Boardman, Mavics as back up, Carbonzone deep rim tubs on the Look.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Cheers guys.