Shimano Cranks Ultravox Ti

Snowblind
Snowblind Posts: 75
edited February 2017 in Workshop
Hi all,

Can anyone tell me what I would need to buy in order to fit Hollowtech II cranks into an Ultravox Ti frame? The bottom bracket sizes differ I believe. According to the SwiftCarbon website, the frame has a 68mm BB shell width and requires a BB-PF30.

A friend of mine recently had a catastrophic crash resulting in some seriously long term injury recovery and as a result has been selling off bikes. He has a gorgeous magenta Ultravox Ti frame that he'll sell to me cheaply, but I don't want to build up a whole new bike and would rather transfer my existing Ultegra and other kit over to it.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Assuming it has a BB already fitted all you need is to buy a pair of adaptors - Wheels Manufacturering are good - and you're golden :D
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • Unfortunately it doesn't. He's never used the frame!
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    It's not difficult to fit a press-fit BB but if you lack the expertise your LBS could easily do this for you.
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • I'm fairly comfortable with fitting one, I just don't know what to buy. I've not had to think about converting from one BB size to another before.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You fit a PF-BB30 its all that fits in the frame, then use adaptors in the cranks to fit the bearings.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    You'd be better off fitting a Praxis convertor BB or similar rather than an adaptor fitted to a PF30 BB
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    ^yep. You have a couple of choices.

1. Press in an adaptor tube which has threads and you can then thread in a bsa external BB.

2. Press in a regular PF30 BB and then use adaptors so that your 24mm chainset will fit.

3. (And IMO the best option) Get an external bearing thread together 24mm bottom bracket suitable for PF30.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.