Castelli Fawesome 2 Vest vs. Velo Jacket

mpolitynski
mpolitynski Posts: 3
edited February 2017 in Road general
Hi everyone,

I've just gotten into road cycling last year, and since I've gotten my first job, I want to splurge a little bit on some cool and functional gear. I live in Toronto, and although the temperatures are at about 0C currently, I want to get out there at 5C+ which occurs on somedays during the winter, and in the coming spring, of course.

I wanted to ask for your opinions on what to wear for these colder rides in terms of the two tops mentioned in the title. I've read fantastic things about both, however, I'd like to see what the more experienced would suggest about riding in the colder weather.

With the Castelli Fawesome 2 Vest, I suppose that I could wear an Under Armour base layer (LS or SS), a SS jersey, arm warmers, and the vest on top of it all. To my understanding it is a thermal vest with the capability of blocking out wind, although I feel as if my arms may get cold since they are not protected from the wind as well.

On the other hand, I could perhaps go with the Castelli Velo Jacket, with the same set up as above, minus the vest. With this I would have additional coverage against the bitter wind along my arms, but would lack the thermal piece around my torso.

I believe that either of those set-ups could be good for the 5C+ temperature range, so, what would you suggest, and perhaps any other pieces that wouldn't break the bank? As for gloves, bottoms, and toe covers, I I've got that covered.

Thanks!

Comments

• mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,620
    You might be better off posting this in buying advice.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    I dont know the Velo.

I would have thought the Fawesome rather cold for what you are talking about though.

Alpha Jersey would be my recommendation.
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 803
    I have the Velo. It's an emergency windproof/showerproof and packs down to half a pocket. Good if you get caught in a shower or for the chilly early/end bits of the ride. Much more like a standard gilet (with arms) than the Fawsome which is an armless Gabba.

Both will keep the wind off and keep you just as dry as each other. The Fawesome will be warmer but your arms will have to fend for themselves and it's not packable.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    The Fawesome is not an armless Gabba - the windstopper at the front is thinner and the back is a thin jersey material with water resistant treatment. Castelli quote it as 10C to 18C. I run really hot and wouldnt go that hot in it but 7/8C to 15C maybe. It wouldnt be warm enough even for me at 5C.

If you want a warm vest, they used to do the Isterico but it isnt packable if you need that. I would be fine with that at 5C but as I said, I run really warm. I would prefer something to cover the arms at that temp too though.
  • Thanks for all the replies, I've decided to go with the Velo Jacket as it will be more functional at different times of the year, rather than the vest, I suppose that I will just have to layer more under. Perhaps I'll invest in some thermal cycling clothing later on.