Padlocks for Garage

gcwebbyuk
gcwebbyuk Posts: 1,926
edited February 2017 in Road general
I currently have three Master Lock padlocks on the garage, one on the handle and two on ground bolts.

However two of the three padlocks are rusting up due to weather and the fact they are not weather resistant, so it's time to replace them. At the same time, I'd like to "upgrade" to something a bit tougher.

The bolt holes on the handle and the ground bolts are about 1cm in diameter.

Can anyone recommend a decent lock? I'm willing to spend around £40-50 per lock.

I have the bikes held down on a ground anchor in the garage, but I still don't want anyone getting in...

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Do a search on here for an old thread called Shed 1 and Shed 2 - all aspects of shed security covered therein.

Bally good read as well: as BR used to be in the good old days.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • gcwebbyuk
    I can't seem to find that particular shed - any clues on narrowing it down?

I've found some on general shed security though, so will have a read of them too.

Thanks!
  • Matthewfalle
    Let me have a squiz - they are years old so I may even put a call out to the Bracketeers to see if they can help.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    For starters - thank you very much Gary! But not Shed 1/2 but we're looking for those.

viewtopic.php?f=30005&t=13076199&p=20066519#p20066519

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • fudgey
    fudgey Posts: 854
    Is it an up and over garage door?
    If so, no amount of expensive locks will stop the garage door being crowbarred out the the runners in less than 10 seconds unfortunately.
    My winter bike is exactly the same as my summer bike,,, but dirty...
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    For starters - thank you very much Gary! But not Shed 1/2 but we're looking for those.

My pleasure Matthew.

Apologies, but I have also failed to find the said discussions.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Do you need to open your up and over door. Mine has one of those remote control things to open, which I had to take of in order to build a climbing wall in there. I then found then door just wouldn't lock, so I screwed coach bolts through several of the holes that were already in the door in to the wood frame.
    I'm sure you could revive it open if you really tried I would hope but I suspect it wouldn't be a quick or quiet job.
  • gcwebbyuk
    It is an up and over and slightly away from our flat. The door is the only way in.

I may also get one of those Maplin PIR battery alarms too.
  • fudgey
    I take it you cant dig up a bit out the front of it and fit an anti-ram post?

Still won't stop it being levered off tho.
  • gcwebbyuk
    Unfortunately not it's in an alley

The garage was broken into a couple of years ago when we just had the one padlock.

Strangely they cut the lock in the bikes but left them!

Either they were disturbed or were leaving them for someone else to pick up. A few garages were done on he same night.
  • Matthewfalle
    Garry H wrote:

My pleasure Matthew.

Apologies, but I have also failed to find the said discussions.

Frickin' useless. I trust you to do one thing, just one thing...

Fine - I'll fail dismally to do the job properly myself then.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If it's an up and over door you need a bolt in each corner, use a reinforcing plate on the inside and bolt through the bolt, door and plate in one, plus use drilled reinforcing plates in the surround.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,249
    ive got a pair of these and they seem pretty good. Not padlocks but the bolts go quite a way into the frame.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,718
    Veronese68 wrote:
    ive got a pair of these and they seem pretty good. Not padlocks but the bolts go quite a way into the frame.

Looks an idea might get some of those - my garage is in a block of 3 and the one on the end was broken into last week at 6.30 in the evening - luckily the lad across the street disturbed them or else they may have worked their way along all of them - especially as the other two don't contain anything of value and mine does.

I've stuck a Maplin alarm in there for the time being but if that goes off it means they are in and I'd guess they would take another 20 seconds to grab a bike.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • fudgey
    keep the bikes in the flat, and live in the garage?