Shimano rs685 sti - plastic brake lever/gear shifter replacement

Tootler
Tootler Posts: 53
edited February 2017 in Workshop
I have just managed to snap the black plastic brake lever/down shifter on the right-hand sti on my shimano rs685 hydraulic brake lever. So, 2 questions really -

1 - is it possible to just replace the lever part of the sti like on other models?
2 - where can I buy the lever from?

I broke it by accidentally kicking it while the bike was upside down while I was removing the wheel to repair a puncture.

Last nights ride was a bit of a disaster.

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    In the exploded view of the shifter on Shimano Tech Docs they don't list the lever as a separate part, and in the dealer manual they detail replacing nameplates and other small parts but not the levers, so you may be out of luck.
  • keef66 wrote:
    In the exploded view of the shifter on Shimano Tech Docs they don't list the lever as a separate part, and in the dealer manual they detail replacing nameplates and other small parts but not the levers, so you may be out of luck.

did you snap the plastic part or all of it including the metal part going into the sti? can you post a pic?
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    :shock: First time I have heard of this happening. Certainly adds to the list of reasons to not invert the bike when working on it/fixing punctures to add to the usual 'friendly' debate - or as my son would say......................................................FAIL! ;)
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D