Feeling ill - carry on cycling or rest?

benws1
benws1 Posts: 415
edited February 2017 in Road general
I've been hit by something that is a rarity for me, a full on cold courtesy of my two year old. I'm at work and I feel terrible.

Due to be out on the hybrid in the morning for my usual Saturday ride. Should I be resting, doing a turbo trainer session instead or just manning up and riding through it? What's the general consensus on here?

Supposed to be picking up my new Cube in the afternoon. Don't want to jeopardise that.

Thanks.

Comments

• Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    benws1 wrote:
    I've been hit by something that is a rarity for me, a full on cold courtesy of my two year old. I'm at work and I feel terrible.

Due to be out on the hybrid in the morning for my usual Saturday ride. Should I be resting, doing a turbo trainer session instead or just manning up and riding through it? What's the general consensus on here?

Supposed to be picking up my new Cube in the afternoon. Don't want to jeopardise that.

Thanks.

If I have a cold, I will sometimes ride as long as I don't have a fever or feel physically weak. I would keep the intensity low and just have a steady ride just to keep things moving. Only you know how you feel.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Agree, gentle riding at low effort levels until starting to feel better
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • benws1
    Thanks. Sounds like gentle is the way to go. :)
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    When the fun stops, stop.
  • benws1
    JGSI wrote:
    When the fun stops, stop.

Indeed. :)
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Depends on the cold - but yup - agree with the others so far - ride, keep it low intensity and probably shorter than intended. The fresh air will give you relief from the cold - and may help clear it more quickly - although toddler colds passed on to an adult do seem to last longer than adult ones... !

I really wouldn't bother with the turbo - they're unpleasant at the best of times.
    If you're really feeling rubbish then sofa may be your best bet...
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    do what you feel like

if you are well enough to contemplate getting on the turbo ... then you are well enough to get on the turbo ... just go easy and slow down when you realise you cant breath and its getting dizzy.

If you are that ill you shouldn't be on a bike ... then you wouldn't even consider getting on it !
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    I guess we are all different, if I feel terrible I take the rest. I'm lucky in that I don't normally get colds, but when I'm attacked by the odd bout of man flu, then I rest.
    Whether the mentality is right or wrong, I see it that its my body telling me it needs a rest. So doing a gentle ride I'm not going to gain anything fitness wise, so the rest will do me good. Going out into the cold when I'm feeling rubbish won't make the ride particularly enjoyable and a half hearted turbo session again won't do much good. I'd rest, eat well (usual fruit and veg) and try and allow the body to recover, then smash it as soon as you are better.
    I have to admit its not easy missing a ride, but I see it the quicker I quash the cold the sooner I am out training / riding properly. Each to their own, probably no right or wrong - depending on the severity of the cold.
  • If the problem is above the neck carry on cycling if it is below the neck stop. However always listen to your body,reduce any intensity until you are feeling better.
  • benws1
    Thanks all for the useful insights.

If I'm honest, I think it's a sign of my body telling me to take a break. I've only been back on the bike for six weeks and have been doing at least four sessions a week (riding in all weather, interval turbo sessions etc.). I've developed some mouth ulcers and have been feeling pooped. My daughter has also been ill for getting on for a week, so that has been taking its toll on my ride recovery. I think a good rest is in order. :)

As some know, it is difficult to stop as I've been getting fitter and losing weight. You get to a point where it sort of becomes addictive and you don't want to give up. I need to though.
  • benws1
    oxoman wrote:
    Take it steady if you get really bad then stop and rest. Enjoy the Cube its a lot of bike for the money, nearly got the last one from Rutland in 53cm as its got a slight mark on the top tube. Would have been a steel at £945, but itch has been temporarily relieved with something else.

Thanks.

If you don't mind me asking, what did you get?

I'm quite nervous about the Cube, but also quite excited. It's my first carbon bike and the my first road one I have bought for 13 years. I feel like I will have to treat it like a delicate piece of pottery, but it's a damn bike. :)
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    I go by temperature. If your temp is raised or you feel feverish, your body is putting all its energy into fighting something so dont even think about weakening it by using energy up elsewhere and raising your temperature further. If its just a cough, sore throat, runny nose etc then I might be tempted but would listen to what my body tells me while exercising.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    ever since Christmas everyone has been coughing, spluttering and spreading their lurgies round the office, and one of the joys of having asthma is any head cold inevitably leads to a chest infection, you never just have head colds and shake them off.

So whilst I was fine the first few weeks even with sniffles and a sore throat and able to ride, this last week has been a total write off with a chesty cough and feeling pretty low, not able to sleep, very tired, and I know as tempted as I am just to hop on the bike and say sod it, it will just make it worse and prolong it, and it doesnt help the temps have all dropped to freezing cold again too, so its full on rest :(
  • Exercising or training while ill could set you back weeks
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • When I have a lurgi (like right now - the second of the year already) then the last thing I want to do is suck all of those germs and grot deep into my lungs. I've yet to do more than a single ride since December, so it's going to hurt when I start back, but I know right now that any attempt to go out for a ride will poleaxe me for another fortnight.
    They use their cars as shopping baskets; they use their cars as overcoats.
  • benws1
    Woke up this morning feeling even worse. Therefore, as annoying as it is, ive decided to rest. Back has gone now too.

Oh well. Just had a text saying my Cube is ready at the shop. Off to get that and will see how I am in the morning. :)