Most reliable dropper post vote

jon1993
jon1993 Posts: 596
edited March 2017 in MTB buying advice
After going through three of the new "more reliable reverbs" in a month I wonder which is the best and most reliable dropper post on the market at the moment?

Thanks
Scott Spark 30 carbon custom build
Giant Faith 2 DH bike
Boardman pro 2011
Boardman team carbon 2010
Carrera kracken 2009
Specialized fsr pro 2009
Haro custom build
Cannondale custom build

Comments

• vulva65
    vulva65 Posts: 118
    I'm on the lookout too so will keep an eye on this thread, was looking at the Band X Ascend dropper which has really good reviews and can get it for around £100, only has the internal routing option though. I just can't bring my self to splash out on a reverb so am wanting something for less than £150. Let me know what you go for.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    I have a Reverb on one bike and it has been faultless for nearly 3 years. I regularly check the pressure and bleed it twice a year.

On my Trance is a Contact SL Switch R and that has also been faultless since I got the bike 5 months ago.

Of the 2 I prefer the Giant dropper. The cable operation is light to use and much easier to maintain.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    if I was buying one now I'd go for the bikeyoke Revive Dropper
  • Anyone got thoughts on the KS Lev?
    I need to replace my eTen with something a bit quicker!
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    my son has a KS lev DX on his ripcord. nice enough post but like others you do get problems sometimes. I think which ever post you think about getting, someone will have bitched about it online.
  • That's the thing I've found. Having seen 5* and 1* reviews on Reverbs (not much in the middle), heard good and bad things about KS/Giant/any other brand you want to mention, seems like you kinda get some good luck on the choice!
  • OJS
    OJS Posts: 130
    I really cannot believe the ratings given to Reverbs. At least 50% of them seem in reality to have to go back for warranty work within a year, or less. The Stealth have vertical play and clunking straight out of the box. That to me says there is a fundamental issue befitting a 1 or 2 star review, especially at such a price point. Reliability should be a key of not the key consideration of such a component. Agree they are fantastic when working, but people who have had zero issues are few and far between.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    My Reverb is still like new after three years use. Out of the 10-15 people I know who have them I only know of two failures and both were on hardtails.
    You probably hear of more failures of Reverbs because they are by far the most popular dropper post.
    If they were that unreliable, Rockshox would have lost a fortune in warranty claims and discontinued or completely re-designed them by now.
  • I have a rock shox dropper. It's sold with a 2 year warrant. It failed but was replaced with a new one. It was supplied with another 2 year warrant. This one failed again after the same amount to time, 20 months. I yet again was supplied with another replacement, also having another 2 year warrant. So as much as I'm annoyed that they have failed. I'm really pleased with the warranty replacements.

Just to add it was used on a hard tail.
  • My Reverb Stealth was replaced under warranty after 10months hard use. Not really a problem given how quickly SRAM sorted it out. The new Reverb design is meant to be a step-change from the older designs, so hopeful this will last a bit longer.

I do wish the'd offer a lever remote button though. I do find the squishy button pretty awkward - even underslung on the left side.
  • gregwari
    gregwari Posts: 230
    Thomson... Had mine 3 years, just had it's first service (£60) and works like new.
  • marcus'73
    marcus'73 Posts: 41
    Has anyone had a dropper post that can take being ridden in mud? I'm on a Giant contact post and after six months most of the coating has worn off the shaft around the base of the dropping element and there's loads of lateral play. I've had three reverbs the "best" lasted about seven months - they get grit in the collar which scores the post and then they no longer seal properly and according to LBS they are scrap as it costs more to repair than to buy a new one. I did get one replacement under warranty as it just straight out failed after a month but so far I'm out around £500-600 on bloody seatposts. I'm on a hardtail but I only weigh 68 kilos so it's not like I'm pushing the design parameters they just aren't sealed well enough to take winter riding. I don't have regular access to all weather trails so I need something that can take getting caked without seizing up or being damaged.
  • mark~p
    mark~p Posts: 55
    I have had a an external reverb that lasted a year before it needed bleeding and messing around with. I then disposed of the bike including the dropper. I then a Stealth to the new bike and it lasted 9 months. Sent back and replaced then the same thing happened, no lock up or down, replaced under warranty again. Sold that as I could not be bothered again.

The Fox transfer has so far been much better but we are still on only at 9 months. I also do not understand why the Reverb gets such rave reviews. Having to keep sending them back under warranty is rubbish. I don't care how good they are when they work, the fact the fail so frequently is pathetic. Just because SRAM replace them without any issues is also no reason to rate them so highly, it should not fail in the first place. As for bleeding them, mu Magura brakes go for years with nothing more than pads. I have the MK2 Louise (yes it is an old model but they are great) on all our bikes and they just work. That includes my work commuting bike which is seriously abused, all weathers, all year, bugger all maintenance.

I ended up keeping a fixed post in the car so that at least an entire trip does not get spoilt.
  • god1406
    god1406 Posts: 554
    I've been using the new Brand X post (from CRC) for 4 months and it hasn't missed a beat yet. Smooth cable actuation, easy setup and internally routed. Looks and feels like a quality item. Think it cost me 115 quid.
  • kirby700
    kirby700 Posts: 458
    Brand x for me too, cannot knock it at all
    GIANT XTC 2.5
    BOARDMAN TEAM FS - NOW GONE
    NUKEPROOF MEGA TR 275 COMP
    YT INDUSTRIES CAPRA