New build; Campag with disc brakes...possible?

elorablue
elorablue Posts: 8
edited February 2017 in Road buying advice
Hello all, first post here. Help needed from the wise.
Researching a build for my Mason frame when it arrives.
Is there anyway to use Campagnolo components (derailleurs etc) with a disc brake setup? I have nothing against Shimano or Sram but I love Campag.

So, is it possible? What would i need to mix and match?

thanks in advance for any advice

Comments

• Yes of course you can, but you can't have hydraulic lines (yet)

TRP HyRD with compression-less cables are not far off full hydraulics... I use record levers with the HyRD

Of course you need a SHimano 11 speed cassette, as disc wheels only come with Shimano freehubs, but I suppose that is not an issue with you
    left the forum March 2023
  • Yes of course you can, but you can't have hydraulic lines (yet)

as disc wheels only come with Shimano freehubs, but I suppose that is not an issue with you

Mavic or Zipp do disc wheels with campag freehub ;)
  • Thank you. I feel a bit thick for not considering mechanical discs.
    Do you find the hyrds a step up from the Spyres?
    Hunt wheels also makes disc brake wheels for Campag.
    I'm going to run a 32 sprocket on the cassette (because i'm old and hills....) which I believe limits me to the Potenza cassette and the Potenza rear medium cage mech.
    Has anyone tried to run a bigger cassette with Chorus/Record/Super Record ?
  • elorablue wrote:
    Thank you. I feel a bit thick for not considering mechanical discs.
    Do you find the hyrds a step up from the Spyres?
    Hunt wheels also makes disc brake wheels for Campag.
    I'm going to run a 32 sprocket on the cassette (because i'm old and hills....) which I believe limits me to the Potenza cassette and the Potenza rear medium cage mech.
    Has anyone tried to run a bigger cassette with Chorus/Record/Super Record ?

Yes, HyRD is a step up on Spyre, if you don't mind the longer lever throw, which is common to most hydraulic and semi-hydraulic systems

Potenza seems to be the choice, among those wishing to go Campagnolo and discs

Personally I would swallow the pride and go for Shimano.... the days when Campagnolo was better are long gone
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,975
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • PBlakeney wrote:

If I read that correctly it seems Potenza only works with Potenza . So I couldn't use record shifters and FD with a Potenza
    RD ?
  • elorablue wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:

If I read that correctly it seems Potenza only works with Potenza . So I couldn't use record shifters and FD with a Potenza
    RD ?

yep...

Seems like a technological cul de sac
  • pblakeney
    elorablue wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:

RD ?

yep...

Seems like a technological cul de sac
    In which case my Campagnolo recommendation would be 50/34x29 Chorus for the hills.
    Edit:- If you have patience I have a feeling Campagnolo will release something as soon as the UCI sort out the rules.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    You can use a Potenza RD with any post-2015 Campagnolo shifters apart from Athena. I have a bike with full 2016 Chorus, apart from a Potenza medium cage RD and 11-32 cassette. You can't use the earlier shifters, or Athena (now discontinued anyway, boohoo) as the pull ratio is wrong.
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    actually there are a few hubs that can take a campag freehub ugo. Novatec D772 for example. There are also Miche disc brake hubs and money no object White Industries CLD, carbon Ti, chris king and royce. My commuter has record 10 speed (only because I had spare) and disc brakes. I use the novatec hubs as it was all I could afford at the time.

The short cage chorus mechs should stretch to a 32T cassette just dont try and use 50x32T that wont work well but given the potenza RD exists you dont have to.

Potenza shares the same cable pull as post 2015 chorus, record and SR shifters.

The one reason to go with potenza is it comes in silver and while shimano groupsets work very well I have never got used to the hood shape or the gear change and brake lever combined other wise they both change gear and do it nicely.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Of course you need a SHimano 11 speed cassette, as disc wheels only come with Shimano freehubs,

Hope freehubs are available in Campag or Shimano flavours.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Thanks to everyone for their input. Plenty of conflicting information out there about what works with what. At the moment I've decided to go with the potenza medium cage RD with a Shimano ultegra 11-32 cassette, chorus 50-34 chainset, record FD, chorus shifters, record chain and s/r bb.
    Going for the ultegra cassette since its $100 cheaper than the equivalent potenza block and by all accounts should work just fine.
    Thanks again
  • pblakeney
    34-29 worked just fine for me in the Pyrenees, and it means you can buy Miche cassettes.
    Any reason for the Record chain? Each to their own though. I'm sure it will be fine.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • I did give some serious thought to sticking with the 29 or even the 30 from Miche. It's certainly quite difficult to judge our comparative fitness and strength levels over the Internet ;) . If I did go for the Miche 30 I could stay with the Chorus Rd , but honestly I feel the shifters are more important than the Rd.

Record chain? As opposed to the chorus chain ? I don't have a good reason to be honest. What would you recommend?

Edit. Going with the Trp spyres. I don't like the hyrds tendency for the levers coming right back to the bar.
  • pblakeney
    elorablue wrote:
    Record chain? As opposed to the chorus chain ? I don't have a good reason to be honest. What would you recommend?
    Quite happy with a KMC chain, especially the quick link as opposed to peening.
    Or a Chorus chain on sale at KMC prices, but still with a KMC link.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    The main issue for the hyrd is campag levers I dont think the cable pull is compatible. the spyres are alot better but you have to apply for lever force. I manage though. The new potenza brake lever cable pull may be different to record 10 speed so I could not say.

I have stopped using campag chains myself. I have KMC chains now on all my bikes, they work just as well and last a similar length of time. Miche cassettes are all I use on my own bikes as well they are so much cheaper for a small weight penelty. Can't notice any difference in cassette life either. win win.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • The main issue for the hyrd is campag levers I dont think the cable pull is compatible.

I am using them, it's fine with compressionless outer.

I recall you saying the same last year, change of heart?
  • The KMC chains don't seem to be any cheaper than the Campagnolo chains.
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    I can confirm pre-2015 Chorus shifters work well with TRP HyRD. Travel is pretty long, mind you