I need help deciding my new +1

h.m.s.salty
h.m.s.salty Posts: 43
edited February 2017 in Road buying advice
In the coming months when (hopefully) more 2017 models of bikes are released I plan to buy my next bike. This bike will be one that I'll be taking abroad for adventure/ light bikepacking riding through Spain. I won't be needing panniers as I'll only be taking a small frame pack, saddle pack as well as a handlebar bag for my smaller items (the Apidura ones for reference). I plan to be using roads and offroad trails (gravel mostly) to get to the different places on my route.

Now for the reason I need help: I have only a vague clue of what to get! I've found disc brake endurance bikes (to allow for tire clearance) but I've been told that the clearance isn't enough for say, 35mm tires (which I plan on using), on these bikes as they only allow a maximum of 32mm; but are 32mm tires okay for gravel riding or should I go for a bike that can accommodate 35s?

Groupset wise I would ideally want Shimano 105 5800 as I have it on my summer bike and I can't complain about it, but from what I've seen SRAM rival is *okay* as well.
Frame material: ideally carbon fiber or steel (as most forums I've seen are rather mixed as to whether carbon fiber is bad or not for bikebacking)...
Disc Brakes are a must with thru-axles (ideally) too.

My budget is £2000 and that's just for the bike as I'll be buying pedals, cages etc separately.

All advice is appreciated!

Comments

• https://www.shandcycles.com/bikes/stoater/

Bit over budget, awesome though.

When I was thinking about something similar the Cotic Escapade was very high up my list:

http://www.cotic.co.uk/product/escapade
  • oxoman wrote:
    Why not Aluminium, im currently looking for a do all bike and pulling hair out due to budget / wants /needs etc and one that was suggested was the Giant TCX SLR various ones.

That one has caught my eye and is on an ever growing list of bikes to consider when I do pull the trigger on a new bike, just my past experiences with Aluminium (6061 with 2 of my past commuter/work bikes) have given me the sense that they may not be superb for the long riding I'll be doing with feedback from the road, but the bigger tires might stop that I suppose.

The Cotic Escapade is now quite high on my list too! It's similar to the Genesis Croix de Fer but with the advantage of a front thru-axle which is good
  • bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    Look at the Niner RLT you can currently get a Reynolds 853 frame only version for about £800 from Niner EU direct leaving you a decent budget for the rest of the build.

http://www.topfun.com/en/rlt-9-steel/73 ... r-red.html
  • The new Farlight bikes seem to be getting good reviews and the Faran meets what you're looking for

http://fairlightcycles.com/faran/?v=79cba1185463
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,523
    One of these must be worth consdiering...

http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bikes/adv ... -de-fer-30
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    A little over budget but looks ideal:

https://masoncycles.cc/shop/categories/bokeh-bikes
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • rob13
    rob13 Posts: 430
    Croix de fer Ti?
  • Just today I saw some articles on this bike today and it might just fit your needs: https://www.alpkit.com/sonder/sonder-camino-ti - there is also an aluminium version and lots of different options for both, including frameset only.
  • Just today I saw some articles on this bike today and it might just fit your needs: https://www.alpkit.com/sonder/sonder-camino-ti - there is also an aluminium version and lots of different options for both, including frameset only.

You can load up on all your gear at the same time :mrgreen:

Custom ti frame option seems pretty good.
  • Hi all, thank you for your suggestions. I'd like to point out that all of you have suggested something new to me and all fit the bill quite nicely as a result! Like the Alpkit bike, I'll probably be going for a custom build now as there's a shop up in Stoke-Upon-Trent that does custom steel frames and forks with thru axles and discs but if I have a change of plan I'll have a a look at this thread, cheers!
  • shipley
    shipley Posts: 549
    Svetty wrote:
    A little over budget but looks ideal:

https://masoncycles.cc/shop/categories/bokeh-bikes

Good call, I so want one of these...and they're local but that would mean n+5 so I'd be in deep sh*t.

Ho hum
  • bmxboy10
    Hi all, thank you for your suggestions. I'd like to point out that all of you have suggested something new to me and all fit the bill quite nicely as a result! Like the Alpkit bike, I'll probably be going for a custom build now as there's a shop up in Stoke-Upon-Trent that does custom steel frames and forks with thru axles and discs but if I have a change of plan I'll have a a look at this thread, cheers!
    Rourke?
  • Rourke?

YES! I've been in contact with them and they've said that they can do what I need for quite a good price
  • bmxboy10
    Rourke?

YES! I've been in contact with them and they've said that they can do what I need for quite a good price
    MMMmm good call but I thought an 853 Rourke that takes discs was in the region of £1500-1600 just for the frame and forks?
  • solboy10 wrote:
    Rourke?

MMMmm good call but I thought an 853 Rourke that takes discs was in the region of £1500-1600 just for the frame and forks?

Yeah it depends what version of the 853 they use I guess, but if it's a bespoke frame then I'm willing to pay more
  • bmxboy10
    solboy10 wrote:
    Rourke?

Yeah it depends what version of the 853 they use I guess, but if it's a bespoke frame then I'm willing to pay more
    There is only one version of 853. BTW the Niner frame I mentioned above will be half the cost of the Rourke and is also 853.
  • solboy10 wrote:
    solboy10 wrote:
    Rourke?

There is only one version of 853. BTW the Niner frame I mentioned above will be half the cost of the Rourke and is also 853.
    Sorry, it was just on Rourke's website they have 853 oversize, super oversize etc. I'll have to look at your link again!
  • I didn't go through all the replies to your comment. So, don't know how much you have been assisted already.

My suggestion is simple, you should go for custom build bike if you want everything according to you.
    And, better you should read recently given user remarks (amazon, e-bay, Walmart) on different newly arrived road bikes.

Here is a site reviewing different category best road bikes under $1000 (£ 800). These may also help you a bit http://roadbikesly.com
    Hope for the best purchase. Thank you.
  • bmxboy10
    solboy10 wrote:
    solboy10 wrote:
    Rourke?

Sorry, it was just on Rourke's website they have 853 oversize, super oversize etc. I'll have to look at your link again!

Hi its only because I made a similar enquiry myself in December and the disc option starts to increase the cost significantly as does the extra cost for the disc fork. Don't get me wrong I would love a Rourke but cant justify the cost when you can get a similar off the peg frame for much less money and initially your budget was £2k. If you can afford it though go for it!

May also be worth checking the Condor Fratello disc.
  • solboy10 wrote:
    solboy10 wrote:
    solboy10 wrote:
    Rourke?

Hi its only because I made a similar enquiry myself in December and the disc option starts to increase the cost significantly as does the extra cost for the disc fork. Don't get me wrong I would love a Rourke but cant justify the cost when you can get a similar off the peg frame for much less money and initially your budget was £2k. If you can afford it though go for it!

May also be worth checking the Condor Fratello disc.

Yeah, totally understandable now as you've asked as well. I've been looking at a similar Masoncycles Bokeh framset for just over a grand too and that has everything I need but I'll have to have a look around for component prices as well as hopefully the bike will be all built up by May/June this year.

Thank you for clearing that up though with regards to the pricing, in the email they sent me it wasn't entirely clear what they meant in all honesty!