Lateral Play in rear wheel

trevorh
trevorh Posts: 87
edited February 2017 in Workshop
Noticed that I have some lateral play in the rear wheel today. Only a slight amount but enough to notice when pushed/pulled from side to side. Something to worry about or pretty normal?? They are Axis disc wheels from specialized

Comments

• Likely worn bearings.
  • Thanks. I thought it could be bearing related. Easy enough to replace or is it a trip to the LBS?
  • trevorh wrote:
    Thanks. I thought it could be bearing related. Easy enough to replace or is it a trip to the LBS?

I'm unsure on the wheel, but I'm guessing they are sealed cartridge bearings. You can do it yourself but an LBS should be able to do it while you wait and chat and it should be pretty cheap (£20-30 including bearings probably).

It could, of course, be something else like a worn freehub, worn axle etc., but it's most likely the bearings. I'd go to the LBS, get them to have a check and make sure it's the bearings then watch how they change them. If you fancy doing it in future note down the number and you can get them online. A rubber hammer and a socket set usually does the job once you know what you are doing.
  • benws1
    benws1 Posts: 415
    I'm currently learning a lot about loose rear wheels due to my Raleigh hybrid having a 7 speed freewheel. I managed to destroy the stock rear wheel in January (Raleigh branded with Quando hub). When I bought a replacement (Raleigh branded with no hub name) I had to adjust it for my bike. It then started loosening off.

I managed to fix it and it has lasted for about three weeks. I noticed the other night it has gone loose again. Grrr!

Need to take the wheel out and make sure it's the hub again. If so, I'll need to take it apart, re-seat the cone and locknut and tighten it all up again. Funny really as the tag on the wheel states how well the thing has been built by the experts at Raleigh. In reality, it's proving to be a real pain in the bum. If I can't get it to stay fixed this time, it's going back to the shop.

Slightly off topic. But I plan to convert the bike to a freehub arrangement soon. I'm hoping I have more luck with freehub cassettes than freewheels. I'm also picking up a new road bike on Saturday. I should only need the hybrid for the night rides and terrible weather after that (until spring arrives).