edited February 2017 in Pro race
Common sense in an uncommon degree is what the world calls wisdom

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,586
    Thanks!
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,231
    I generally don't have "heroes (or heroines)" as such, but he ranks as the nearest to it, in cycling terms.

I don't feel quite the same about them, but I think Beryl Burton and Chris Froome are/were cut from a similar cloth in terms of "otherliness": physical and mental. In every sense - extremely physical/extremely mental.
  • I watched this on the turbo trainer this morning, very interesting.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Ooh, that's perfect. I can watch that on Sat evening while wifey's up in London watching something musical! Saturday evening TV is pretty crap till Tom Hardy starts eviscerating people at 9PM.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    I generally don't have "heroes (or heroines)" as such, but he ranks as the nearest to it, in cycling terms.

I don't feel quite the same about them, but I think Beryl Burton and Chris Froome are/were cut from a similar cloth in terms of "otherliness": physical and mental. In every sense - extremely physical/extremely mental.

Was captivated by his battles with Boardman and these two are still probably my favorite riders/people.
  • There was a fantastic quote from Boardman at the start of the show, something to the effect of "To get beaten by a man who built his own bike from bits from his washing machine, who would get up in the morning have a marmalade sandwich and say 'Right let's go and do the Hour Record'; it was really quite irritating".
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Watched this a while back on Amzaon while I was on the turbo, it was quite good I thought.

Also saw him give a Q&A at SPin in Manchester last year, which was interesting. A strange bloke, but in a good way (?).
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    OCDuPalais wrote:

I think there is a great deal of empathy for Graeme Obree and respect for what he achieved against the odds. One other rider cut from the same cloth as Graeme Obree was Robert Millar. I grew up when they were in their prime and I loved it that they were local boys who overcame adversity to reach the top of their game.

Not sure where Grame Obree lives now but whenever I get back to visit my mother, I keep expecting to bump into him riding this. :D:D

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-24088647
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Watching this just now. Fantastic stuff! You have to respect someone who's permanently attached a vise to his kitchen table. Complete bam, but I mean that in the nicest way.
  • keef66
    After several false starts finally got to watch this yesterday. You have to admire his total commitment. Getting his sons to squash him against a wall with a sideboard to see how narrow he could make himself, taking an angle grinder to a saucepan to manufacture something (I forget what), and the breathing apparatus fashioned from a snorkel and an overflow pipe from a bath. Absolutely batshit!

I should make my wife watch it; she might be more charitable next time I bring something indoors for fettling in the depths of winter...
  • Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    keef66 wrote:
    After several false starts finally got to watch this yesterday. You have to admire his total commitment. Getting his sons to squash him against a wall with a sideboard to see how narrow he could make himself, taking an angle grinder to a saucepan to manufacture something (I forget what), and the breathing apparatus fashioned from a snorkel and an overflow pipe from a bath. Absolutely batshit!

I should make my wife watch it; she might be more charitable next time I bring something indoors for fettling in the depths of winter...

Angle grinder + saucepan was for shoulder rests in "the beastie".
  • Alex99
    OCDuPalais wrote:

It's true, there aren't many around that I look to in this way, but Graeme is definitely one. He's got everything. Genius, athletic prowess, underdog against the odds achievement and the highest level, and quite essentially, flaws.
  • Alex99
    There was a fantastic quote from Boardman at the start of the show, something to the effect of "To get beaten by a man who built his own bike from bits from his washing machine, who would get up in the morning have a marmalade sandwich and say 'Right let's go and do the Hour Record'; it was really quite irritating".

That's why that period was so memorable and intriguing. They were so different and Boardman couldn't seem to fathom him at all. When you look at it, Boardman wins on points... but he didn't know what was going to happen when Obree was in the field on a given day.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Alex99 wrote:
    keef66 wrote:

I thought he was making a special pan for frying sausages.
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,597
    Great programme, a sort of grass roots Guy Martin if you will.

I like the acknowledgement that 'regular' people aren't arsed if they dont always win. They have other things that bring contentment, its those missing that peace that feel the need. It flips on its head the sense of failiure people like me can get from watching guys like this! :lol:

Anyway, top chap!
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • keef66
    Garry H wrote:
    Alex99 wrote:
    keef66 wrote:
    .. taking an angle grinder to a saucepan to manufacture something (I forget what)

I thought he was making a special pan for frying sausages.

No, you were right, arm rests. He did quip afterwards that as a result he'd also invented the side-access frying pan.

I'm trying to imagine my wife's face if I started attacking the saucepans with an angle grinder. Or indeed taking the bearing out of the washing machine. :shock: Not a problem for Graeme obv.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Watched it last night - quite good but I needed to put the subtitles on to cope with his accent in places!

He is clearly still a very troubled man but has found an equilibrium which copes with that - albeit with continued use of medication. Amazing and inspirational still but sounds like this could be the sunset on his adventures as his years catch up with him.

That thing was seriously unstable though - I think to do any better would need proper CFD or windtunnel design etc and go beyond what somebody could knock up in their shed or kitchen.