Novice looking for assistance

Rcropley
Rcropley Posts: 7
edited April 2017 in Road beginners
Good Afternoon

I have always been interested in cycling and have watched it on TV for years. However this year I have decided to take the plunge and take it up as a hobby and take part in local sportives.

Problem is I don't really own a proper road bike. I have looked around and I have come across this

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/r ... -road-bike

I don't really want to spend over the odds just in case the hobby doesn't really take off and in a few months I don't continue.

I am 6ft 1 / 6ft 2 and most bike frames sizing guides states 56/58 cm. This bike is 54 cm but the sizing guide says is suitable for up to 6ft 2.

I am aware that different makes size differently but would 54cm really suit someone my size when most others state larger?

Any suggestions and help would be appreciated. Also if there is anything is should be looking forwarded when coming to breaks and gears etc any input would be helpful.

Comments

• The fact that the size guide has the wrong conversion from inch to cm (6'2" is ~188cm, not 183cm) would make me very skeptical.

What kind of budget do you have?
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    I'm 6'1 and ride a 57 across lots of makes.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    For the money I'd go with either one of these over that:

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-500- ... 31913.html

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-500- ... 06187.html

That or £300 would get you a really good used bike.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • Thanks everyone so far.

Ideally budget would be £300 maximum but I know that is easy said then done when it comes to bikes.

If I continue doing it then I would look at buying a new one in 12 to 18 months and spending more
  • http://www.wiggle.co.uk/verenti-technique-claris-2016/

£319. In your size, miles better than the Carrera so you are much more likely to enjoy riding it. Will have a look for others later.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Ok - the road bike you were looking at is sub £300 - don't worry - it's just a price pointer for others to jump in.
    Glad you're on here to ask though as it would be easy to just go and buy the first bike you see and regret later on.

frame sizes can be misleading and aren't always the best way to select a bike - they're a reasonable indicator to start with, but your body geometry (eg torso and armlength) could be totally different to another person who is the same overall height. However, I would say that 54cm sounds a bit small.

Check this: http://www.bikeradar.com/beginners/gear ... eed-40459/

Best indication to start with is to get on the bike and see how it feels.

I've seen a lot of B'Twin bikes out on the road and they seem to get a good review

I think what you need to look for is a bike that whilst doesn't cost a lot, isn't going to be a throw-away should you want to continue in the sport - you could allocate it different duties - eg commute bike, wet weather, pub hack - anything that you wouldn't want to use your best bike for (you will be buying another bike trust me! ;) )

Of course, you could look S/H - plenty of reasonable bikes out there - but it's a mine field - you'd really want a mate who knows bikes to help you on that one.
  • Slowbike wrote:

I've seen a lot of B'Twin bikes out on the road and they seem to get a good review

I've seen a few of these too, fairly good but I think the microshift gears are pretty poor and the brakes aren't great. Should be able to find a Claris equipped bike in that price range which would make a perfect winter bike once something nicer enters the stable.
  • mac9091
    mac9091 Posts: 196
    Buy the carerra and in 6 months when you decide you dont like cycling, enjoy the struggle of selling it for half what you pay for it.
    OR
    Get a 2nd hand one and in 6 months when you decide you dont like cycling, it'll be far easier to get you money back.

BUT IN ACTUAL FACT.

In 6 months you'll be looking to buy a new bike anyway.
  • I was in the same boat as you. Decided to buy the B'Twin Triban 500SE. £300 from decathlon. Best decision ever, great bike, light and easy to ride.
    I did over 650 miles on it since July last year including a 100 mile sportive.
    My plan was to buy that, see if I liked cycling then upgrade. Decided that the bike is absolutely fine as I've got in decent shape and on these sportives I end up flying past all these guys on the £2000 carbon fibre bikes, realised that if you can get the engine working, a reasonable bike will suffice.
    I'll be keeping mine for the foreseeable future.
    Good luck.
  • Oh btw, I'm 6'1'' and I've got a 60 frame. Perfect fit for me.
  • You're only going to answer the size question by sitting a few.

As others have mentioned, the Triban bikes from Decathlon are great value and always get a good write-up. As for the Microshift drive train components, they're obviously not as well known as other brands but I believe that they are compatible with Shimano drive train components and seem to be good value.

So, try a few frame sizes, get one that fits comfortably and talk to someone you trust about the correct bike set-up. If you love the riding and want to get a another bike yo can keep this current one, stick some mudguards on and keep it as your bad weather bike.
  • Jerry185
    Jerry185 Posts: 143
    Like ChristianB, I bought a Triban 540SE for £480 for my first serious bike, but when I ended up in Mallorca bike camp in a sea of lycra and carbon bling, it was confidence boosting to be easy in the groups + the bike leader said 'its a perfectly reasonable bike.' Now sold it for £350 to get the bling bike
  • drwae
    drwae Posts: 223
    Our club has just bought BTWIn bikes with Microshift transmission.
    This week someone was using one and dropped the chain twice.
  • drwae wrote:
    Our club has just bought BTWIn bikes with Microshift transmission.
    This week someone was using one and dropped the chain twice.

Does that not just mean it was set up badly? I used Microshift for years and was very happy with it, never had any real issues. Yes it's not quite as smooth as more expensive groupsets but you wouldn't expect it to be.
    Felt F95 2012

Hello to Jason Isaacs
  • Rcropley
    Rcropley Posts: 7
    End up spending a bit more and buying a Trek Emonda ALR 2016.
    Absolutely love it and completley hooked on the hobby
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Rcropley wrote:

One man's hobby is another man's all-consuming obsession. Give it time...
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,556
    Rcropley wrote:

and the good weather should be coming now :)
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • keef66 wrote:
    One man's hobby is another man's all-consuming obsession. Give it time...

Haha! This. Absolutely.

Go sit on a few Decathlon bikes and mess around with them in the store. Excellent value for money. Don't test anything way above your price range, that's dangerous! The Wiggle range are good too but you can't see them beforehand. If you can get Shimano gearing rather than Micro. When you upgrade down the track any of these bikes will make a great winter hack or turbo trainer bike.