SRAM reliability - Is it getting worse?

jon1993
jon1993 Posts: 596
edited February 2017 in MTB general
I bought an evil insurgent 4 months ago now. I have ridden it 6 times.

Guide r brakes - complete failure - warranty replaced - ride 1
Monarch rt3 - Scratched stanchion - warranty replaced - ride 2
reverb dropper post - stuck down - warranty replaced - ride 2

reverb dropper post rising and lowering very slowly after a few cycles - warranty replaced - ride 3

reverb dropper post complete failure - seat span 90 degrees when pushed down completely locked up and down - ride 6 currently being replaced

sram x1 11 speed mech - wobbley pivot making it hard to index gears - not put in for warranty yet.

More to my point is SRAM really becoming this horrifically unreliable.

The new reverbs appear that they really havent fixed the issue at all.

Please let me know if you have had a similar experience and if there is anyway for sram to take all there useless crap back.

Thanks

Jon
Scott Spark 30 carbon custom build
Giant Faith 2 DH bike
Boardman pro 2011
Boardman team carbon 2010
Carrera kracken 2009
Specialized fsr pro 2009
Haro custom build
Cannondale custom build

Comments

• Seems like I have the same parts as you and have had zero issues, done just over 300 miles on my bike.

From everything I've read srams quality has improved a lot and is preferred which is why most 2016 and 2017 higher end bikes have the sram stuff.

I suppose it's luck of the draw but does seem like youve been very unlucky
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    No SRAM isn't that bad normally or they would be out of business.

SRAM X9 on my commuter for the last 6000miles, had a new set of jockey wheels and a new grip for the twist shift as it had worn away
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    SRAM brakes have been unreliable for at least the last decade.
    Evil frames don't have a great reputation for reliability. I know of one shop which has stopped selling them due to the percentage of them cracking.
  • russyh
    russyh Posts: 1,375
    I have just recently been replacing all the SRAM parts on my bike. I have just gotten fed up with the quality of some of their products. I. Ant fault the warranty support, but to be honest I don't want to use it. In the last 12 months I have had:
    4x Reverbs
    1x maxle
    1x cassette
    1x shifter
    1 x monarch plus failure

In fact the only thing that worked faultlessly was my rear mech. The only SRAM I have left now is the Replacemebt rear axle. When I find a suitable boost spacing replacement that will be going to. In the eyes of fairness, I have also removed all the overrated Hope crap from my bike. Hope make great hubs, BB and headsets. But as far as I'm concerned it ends there. Their cranks are absolutely awful design! But that's a whole different thread