Patching tights

Tashman
Tashman Posts: 3,479
edited February 2017 in Road buying advice
I have only 1 pair of cold weather tights (aldi) currently, which after a fall a few weeks back have a strategically placed hole about 5cm across in the middle of my left buttock!
Obviously I'm going to purchase another pair anyway, but wandered if anyone had experience of how well the material patches. Seems a shame to bin them for that.

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Are you going to have to cut a chunk out of some other garment to provide a piece of material to patch them?

I imagine a good repair might be tricky because you'd have to stretch the patch material to the same extent as the bit around the hole, and you'd have to avoid creating any raised seams if you don't want them to irritate you.

Not sure I'd bother TBH
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    When the mother in law fixed a pair for me she stitched the hole together rather than putting a patch on. The material is stretchy so it isn't a problem, although she used a fair bit of stitching to prevent it fraying.
  • alex222
    alex222 Posts: 598
    I had a pair of bib shorts repaired recently at the local dry cleaners for £8. They stitched the hole back together (on the thigh just below the hip) with a seam on the inside. I struggled to see where the hole had been, so impressed with the job.
    Haven't worn them in anger yet to see if the seam bothers me but I don't think it will.
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    I think I would cut a hole in the other buttock and make it look like they belong there