Freewheel...

Schoie81
Schoie81 Posts: 749
edited February 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
Hey guys,

I do all my own bike maintenance but have been cycling for just 5 years and I've never had a freewheel issue... until now!! I've been having occasional moment whilst pedalling where the pedals have just spun... only briefly and as its been dark while I've been riding and I couldn't see what was happening, I naively thought the chain must have been slipping. Anyway, this morning I suddenly lost 'drive' completely so it was a walk home. Got back on the bike on a downhill and found at the bottom that it did engage again, but there is obviously something wrong. So, having no experience of freewheels.. are they serviceable/repairable? Or do I need to get the chequebook (showing my age now..) out?
"I look pretty young, but I'm just back-dated"

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Freewheel or freehub?

They generally are serviceable, but depends on what make/model you have.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Schoie81
    Ah... ok... as I say, no experience at all... how would I know if its a freewheel or a freehub??
  • Schoie81
    OK.. Googled it - its a freehub.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Still depends on what make/model you have. And what's wrong.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    First step is to remove the cassette and freehub and then clean out the area and ring the pawls work on, and the pawls and activation springs, relube and refit.

There is a GCN YouTube video covering the basics but each freehub installation is subtley (or less subtley) different.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Schoie81
    Is there any easy way of identifying what make and model it is? I'm guessing its Shimano (because everything else on the bike is...) but I've taken the cassette off and the axle out and I can't see any marks on it that would identify a make or model...
  • The Rookie
    Shimano only make Shimano branded hubs.....

Everyone else (inlcuding SRAM) makes Shimano compatible hubs.

Many low to mid range bikes use Joytech, quando or Formula hubs, that includes hubs branded as being from the bike manufacturer or their in house component brands.

Bike make and model and any links to specs?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Schoie81
    Thanks Rookie - The bike is an Orbea MX30 2014 model, and (as you hinted may be the case) the hub is listed as an "Orbea Disc Hub"
  • The Rookie
    So it will be one of the major generic hubs......a decent bike shop should be able to identify it.