10 speed cassette

redvee
redvee Posts: 11,922
edited February 2017 in Road buying advice
After taking the cassette off my Hope hub to replace a spoke I noticed the freehub body is starting to notch up cause of the 4600 cassette I'm using. I emailed Hope and said the two choices are a steel freehub body or a cassette with a carrier for the sprockets.
The freehub body is near £60 so looking at the hopefully cheaper option of a cassette with a carrier.

Using a 5700 shifter so can Is use MTB as well as road cassette? 6500 level or something from Sram?
I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.

Comments

• jermas
    jermas Posts: 484
    The shimano 4700 cassette is held together on a large carrier (apart from the smallest cogs)-which would be a good option. You can use a MTB one also ,but I'm not sure how many cogs are fixed to the carrier. SRAM will also fit.
  • Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    redvee wrote:
    After taking the cassette off my Hope hub to replace a spoke I noticed the freehub body is starting to notch up cause of the 4600 cassette I'm using. I emailed Hope and said the two choices are a steel freehub body or a cassette with a carrier for the sprockets.
    The freehub body is near £60 so looking at the hopefully cheaper option of a cassette with a carrier.

Using a 5700 shifter so can Is use MTB as well as road cassette? 6500 level or something from Sram?

6500 is 9s, so 6700 may do it. The 5700 variant may also have the larger sprockets on a carrier.
  • jermas
    jermas Posts: 484
    6700/5700 only have a small carrier for the largest sprokets and will certainly still cause the freehub body to get chewed up.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    All my Shimano cassettes have the first 3 or 4 largest sprockets on a carrier, the rest are individual. But I don't get any notching though because I have the cheaper Shimano wheels with steel freehubs.

The only all-in-one cassettes I've ever read about are the eye-wateringly expensive SRAM Powerdome things.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    jermas wrote:
    6700/5700 only have a small carrier for the largest sprokets and will certainly still cause the freehub body to get chewed up.
    They do, had a hell of a job getting mine off a Novatec hub for that very reason. Unfortunately I'd already bought a similar replacement in a sale some time ago. I have a feeling some Sram cassettes are on a carrier, but not sure which so was going to have a look at a few in a shop if I get the chance.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Looking at the exploded views on Shimano Tech Docs your 4600 cassette has the 7 biggest sprockets on a carrier anyway, so the notching can only be from the 3 smallest. Is the lockring properly torqued up?

The only better options I can see are some older 6600 cassettes with all but the smallest cog on 2 separate carriers. Funny ratios with 13t smallest cogs though, so I imagine they's be like hens' teeth now...

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-ultegra ... 60245981uk

ETA - Wiggle have a 16-27 if that's any use. It's nearly as much as the steel freehub though...
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Shimano 10 speed cassettes are on millions of bikes the world over. Yes they can 'bite into' softer alloy freehub splines but it's not a big deal. I have used hope hubs with shimano cassettes for years. Just file any major protruberances down and refit the cassette making sure you fully tighten the lockring
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    The wheel is at the wheelbuilders having a nipple replaced under warranty so when I put it back on the bike over the weekend I'll get my 3 foot breaker bar on the lockring tool and make sure it's really tight.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    redvee wrote:
    . . . I'll get my 3 foot breaker bar on the lockring tool and make sure it's really tight.

I seem to recall 40Nm is what you should be aiming for - if you strip the thread on the freehub you're going to be forced to get a new one anyway.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er