Change cassette from 28 to 32

yiannism
yiannism Posts: 345
edited February 2017 in Workshop
Hey guys, i own an orbea avant H30 2015, with 105 groupset. The cassette is 11-28/11. Since i do a lot of climbing i was thinking to change it and install an 11-32. In this case do i need to change the rear derailleur too since i think that is small cage, or it will be able to work without? any other solution to make my climbing easier that will not cost a lot?

Comments

• drwae
    drwae Posts: 223
    If you have the SS rear mech you are recommended to change it to GS (medium cage) version, anecdotally I've heard of people using SS and 32T but personally I would not risk it.
    You also probably need to add a link to your chain.
    Since you already have a compact chainset it seems, that would be the best way to get lower gears for climbing.
    You could also make sure you have your technique down, which costs nothing.
  • yiannism
    drwae wrote:
    If you have the SS rear mech you are recommended to change it to GS (medium cage) version, anecdotally I've heard of people using SS and 32T but personally I would not risk it.
    Since you already have a compact chainset it seems, that would be the best way to get lower gears for climbing.

Thanks for your quick answer. I guess i will stick at 28T, and i will make my self stronger instead.
  • drwae
    YiannisM wrote:
    drwae wrote:

Thanks for your quick answer. I guess i will stick at 28T, and i will make my self stronger instead.
    Just consider yourself lucky you have a compact chainset, I've got a short cage rear mech and a standard chainset :)
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    Personally I wouldn't bother changing.
    You only gain the 32t as the next one down the cassette is the 28t.

I've got the 32t on my bike and find I don't use it unless the hill is very steep or I'm shagged (34t-32t) although for some hills 50-32t can be quite handy.
  • drwae
    Dannbodge wrote:

I've got the 32t on my bike and find I don't use it unless the hill is very steep or I'm shagged (34t-32t) although for some hills 50-32t can be quite handy.
    Crosschaining? :shock:
  • yiannism
    Cyprus where i live is very hilly, and my typical Saturday ride is between 80-130 km, and elevation from 900-1500m, you cant survive from that without compact crankset especially if you are relative new to the sport (1 year) a little heavy (180cm/88kg)
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    Oh lord not this again.

Repeat after me: having a larger cog at the back does not make you less manly. Grinding up a 12% ramp at 50rpm is not heroic cycling, it's just bad for your knees. Nobody who isn't a pro sprinter *needs* a 53x11. Etc.

Fit your gearing to your ability and your terrain, not your ego.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    drwae wrote:
    Dannbodge wrote:

Crosschaining? :shock:

I think it's called putting the bodge in Dannbodge :wink:
  • YiannisM wrote:
    drwae wrote:

You wont be stronger if you, for example: grind the cartilage of your knees and/or tighten your ITB so much you misalign your patella's etc. - Spin my friend Spin!
  • zefs
    zefs Posts: 484
    I use a tiagra 11-32 on 105 SS derailleur, works fine.
    Also, did not notice a difference in comparison to Ultegra cassette (shifting is equally good).
  • yiannism
    zefs wrote:
    I use a tiagra 11-32 on 105 SS derailleur, works fine.
    Also, did not notice a difference in comparison to Ultegra cassette (shifting is equally good).

My cassette is 11 speed, tiagra is 10, so i guess you are talking about an older 105, but thats good to know.