Indexing woes.

Myster101
Myster101 Posts: 856
edited February 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
Just ran new inner and out rear mech cables as the old one was fraying. Also was having problems with dropping from 1st to 2nd gear. Cable ran in fine, checked/set high and low limits then tried to index. First 4 gears were fine (10, 9, 8 &7) up and down but when going into 3rd I had to slacken off the cable as it was trying to jump into 2nd. Now all gears fine up and down apart from trying to go from 1st to 2nd (as original problem ), chain just doesn't want to drop down. If I slacken off the cable a bit (using barrel adjuster) to get it to shift down correctly it throws out the gears when going back up from small to large cogs. Mech looks nice and straight but wondering if it's on its way out? Set up is below:

SRAM X9 10 speed shifter.
SRAM X7 10 speed rear mech type 2.
Running 1 x 10 on 11t to 36t SRAM cassette and 30t snaggle tooth.

Tried everything I can think of, anybody got any ideas :?

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
Nukeproof Mega AM 275 Comp
Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
Ribble 7005 Sportive

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Loosen everything off and start again. After checking if the hanger is bent.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Thanks cooldad but carried that out umpteen times now. Still the same, have double and triple checked limit screws and checked hanger and mech for damage. All looks OK, strange one this as I've been setting up gears for years and never had this problem.

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
    Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
    Ribble 7005 Sportive
  • Could it not be just the new cable? Try giving it a good stretch first.
    If the old cable didn't have this problem, what other cause could it be?

I think that any wear in the rear mech would have been apparent prior to changing the cable.
  • Cheers mate but it had the same problem before which us why I changed the cable (cheapest thing first!).

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
    Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
    Ribble 7005 Sportive
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    Had similar issues, would index fine on first few gears then as I went up to the bigger gear the indexing would be out - got it sorted in the end just required lots of minute adjustments and a lot of time finding the right compromise - did you use the park tools guide and start by setting the H and L screws? These need to set with a slack cable and you. Need to check that the chain shifts up and down into the adjacent gears. Hard to explain, but if H and L screws not set correctly with a slack cable you'll have problem indexing.
  • Yea H and L screws were the first thing I set and have been checked and checked again. Going to see how it goes today as I'm off biking soon, the only problem I have with it now is dropping from 1st it 2nd. All others are ok!

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
    Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
    Ribble 7005 Sportive
  • ryan93
    ryan93 Posts: 186
    No mention of the B-screw, have you set this?