What bike? I'm a little clueless...

Jordjuan
Jordjuan Posts: 11
edited February 2017 in Road buying advice
Hi all,

I am about to get rid of my car as the finance and whatnot is far too expensive and I only really use it to commute to work.
So I'll need to get a bike to make the 13ish mile commute from Bristol to Bath and then general cycling around the city.

I'm just lost as to what to look for because there are like 45 million bikes that all look the same to me haha!

I had a 2015 Fuji Tourer, which I cycled across Europe on in 2015 and really liked that bike, but am unsure if there are better options for me now?

I'll mainly be using the bike to commute, but it would be nice to have something I could go on tours on again. Am I better off getting a road bike that fits panniers or a touring bike? (don't really know the difference to be honest...)

I think about £800 is near my limit. I have been looking at the 2017 Fuji tourer, but that's just cause I had the 2015 model and it served me well!

If anyone could give me a point in the right direction and what to be looking for on the more expensive bikes (though I realise £800 isn't loads for a bike) that would be great.

Ideally a bike available from EvansCycles, as I'm looking to use their 0% finance to spread the cost!

Cheers,

Jordan!

Comments

• lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    Hi Jordan, do you have any local shops you could check out first, personally I would rather see and try a bike out before buying one, as long as the frame is the correct size and it feels comfortable to ride
    Regarding a good spec for that price, you might be lucky to get one with a shimano 105 drive train ,these are very reliable
    Good luck with you search, let us know what you buy
  • andy9964
    andy9964 Posts: 930
    You could always look at credit card deals with 0% to give you a wider shopping spree
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    As above.
    I've just taken out a 0% for 29month card to pay for my Spesh Tarmac.

Shops also do better deals when you don't use their finance/cycle to work as they have to pay the interest on the loan (I got nearly £200 off from my LBS when i bought mine for using a card rather than their finance)
  • Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    Jordjuan wrote:
    Hi all,

I am about to get rid of my car as the finance and whatnot is far too expensive and I only really use it to commute to work.
    So I'll need to get a bike to make the 13ish mile commute from Bristol to Bath and then general cycling around the city.

I'm just lost as to what to look for because there are like 45 million bikes that all look the same to me haha!

I had a 2015 Fuji Tourer, which I cycled across Europe on in 2015 and really liked that bike, but am unsure if there are better options for me now?

I'll mainly be using the bike to commute, but it would be nice to have something I could go on tours on again. Am I better off getting a road bike that fits panniers or a touring bike? (don't really know the difference to be honest...)

I think about £800 is near my limit. I have been looking at the 2017 Fuji tourer, but that's just cause I had the 2015 model and it served me well!

If anyone could give me a point in the right direction and what to be looking for on the more expensive bikes (though I realise £800 isn't loads for a bike) that would be great.

Ideally a bike available from EvansCycles, as I'm looking to use their 0% finance to spread the cost!

Cheers,

Jordan!

How much kit will you need to carry for your commute? If it's quite a bit, then maybe a tourer is the way to go. If it's going to be a light load, then you might consider getting more of an all-rounder road bike... something a bit lighter but can still take a rack / mudguards / larger tyres and a moderate load for occasional touring. There a lots of nice road bikes in this category as they are best suited to most people who aren't racing. People increasingly look for something with disk brakes for this type of general purpose bike which I think makes a lot of sense.
  • Thanks for the replies guys.

In regards to the credit card, I will take a look, but even with that I'd still only look to be spending about £800 on the bike itself.

I'll only be carrying work clothes and such when cycling to work and around Bristol. At most, a 33L backpack. With any small tours, I would be mostly carrying my hiking gear which all fits into a 60L bag and I myself only weigh 70kg, so the load would never be much.

My main confusion is all the different chainsets and such. Can anyone explain the difference between like Sora, Tiagra and ultra and that sort of thing?

In terms of getting around quickly, how much faster would I likely be getting around on a road bike vs a touring bike? I'm leaning towards tourers, because that's what I've owned before and liked the wide gear ratio, but if the road bikes are likely to get me around considerably faster, then I'd probably go that way.

I'll head to my local shop soon and take a few test rides, but would be great to have some brand/model suggestions to peek at!
  • andy9964
    andy9964 Posts: 930
    Groupset hierarchy explained (Shimano)

https://www.evanscycles.com/coffeestop/ ... -hierarchy
  • Thanks, so I'd be mainly looking at Tiagra and maybe some 105 at my budget.

Anyone have thoughts on this? http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXLDNRIV ... al-11-bike

Looks like it would be perfect for commuting and light tours.

Anyone got any experience with the Sram rival groupset? Would be good if anyone has got a planet x and could let me know about them, as the store is about 4 hours away from me haha! Test riding will be a long process
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    Jordjuan wrote:
    Thanks, so I'd be mainly looking at Tiagra and maybe some 105 at my budget.

Anyone have thoughts on this? http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXLDNRIV ... al-11-bike

Anyone got any experience with the Sram rival groupset? Would be good if anyone has got a planet x and could let me know about them, as the store is about 4 hours away from me haha! Test riding will be a long process

Fair bit of info here!
    viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=12998860
  • MrB123 wrote:
    Jordjuan wrote:
    Thanks, so I'd be mainly looking at Tiagra and maybe some 105 at my budget.

Fair bit of info here!
    viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=12998860

Ah perfect, thanks! Seems like a decent bike, really swaying towards that! Looks like I'm due a trip to sheffield!