Is this a good custom part list for Pivot Mach 429 Trail?

Phoenix864
Phoenix864 Posts: 4
edited February 2017 in MTB buying advice
Hi,

I have been looking to upgrade from my Trek X-Cal 9. After trying a few different bikes, I decided my next frame would be a Pivot Mach 429 Trail. However, the model I am most interested in (XT, $4200) does not use a full XT groupset, which I would like. Most components are XT, but the Shifter and brakes are downgraded. Because of this I, have thought about buying the frame and then assembling the bike using these components:

Frame - Mach 429 Trail ($2500)
Fork - Fox Factory Float 34, 130mm ($880)
Full 1x11 XT Groupest ($596)
XT Wheelset ($400)
Handlebar - Nukeproof Warhead ($106)
Stem - RaceFace Evolve ($34)
Headset - Canecreek 40 ($50)
Grips - RaceFace Half Nelson ($18)
Seatpost - RaceFace Next SL ($110)
Seat - WTB Volt Race ($54)
Tires - Maxxis High Roller 2exo ($92 for front and back)
Total - $4840

Is this build worth the extra cost? It sits somewhere between the XTR/XT and the XT builds? If it is, are there any changes that I should make to my build list?

Thanks

Comments

• JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Why not buy the XT bike and then upgrade the shifter and brakes?
    That will cost less than the part list you propose and you should be able to recoup some of the spend by selling the original shifter and brakes.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • After some additional reflection on what I want, I think I would also want to upgrade the front shock (Black to kashima), seatpost (alu to carbon/dropper), and handlebar (alu to carbon). This would have me selling quite a few parts from the bike. I am assuming that at this point it would be best to assemble the bike from the custom part list. However, if these upgrades will not have a somewhat noticeable affect on ride, then the XT build would be better value. Would these modifications be beneficial?

Thanks for your help.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Without knowing what's on the stock bike, who can say...

This is mainly a UK forum, so prices in $ are not much use for comparison. Things are often priced very differently here.

As you just state $, not any particular type, such as NZ, HK etc, may one assume you are in the US? If so we understand that the rest of the world is just a grey area.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Kashima is a waste of money. It's shiny but makes no difference at all. Fitting a set of SKF lower seals for around $25 is a much bigger improvement. To be honest though, I'd go for Rockshox Pike RCT3 forks rather than Fox 34's, they're stiffer and much better value.
    The XT wheels aren't very good. You're favourite rims on Hope or DT Swiss hubs would be much better.
  • cooldad wrote:
    Without knowing what's on the stock bike, who can say...

This is mainly a UK forum, so prices in $ are not much use for comparison. Things are often priced very differently here.

As you just state $, not any particular type, such as NZ, HK etc, may one assume you are in the US? If so we understand that the rest of the world is just a grey area.

Sorry for not stating it, I am from the US. If this is not the appropriate place for this question, do you know of any good US biking forums? The stock bike is here: http://www.pivotcycles.com/bike/mach-429-trail/#1 (race xt 1)
    Kashima is a waste of money. It's shiny but makes no difference at all. Fitting a set of SKF lower seals for around $25 is a much bigger improvement. To be honest though, I'd go for Rockshox Pike RCT3 forks rather than Fox 34's, they're stiffer and much better value.
    The XT wheels aren't very good. You're favourite rims on Hope or DT Swiss hubs would be much better.

The Pike (http://www.jensonusa.com/Rockshox-Pike-RCT3-29-Fork) is heavier and more expensive than the Fox (http://www.jensonusa.com/Fox-34-Float-F ... 7?cs=Black). Is it really worth it? I will look for different rims. Last thing, did I miss anything in compiling the list? Just want to make sure I am not forgetting anything.

Thanks
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Personally I'd get the complete bike and swap the shifter straight away (selling the SLX as unused), if a few grams of weight is important then by all means do the same for the brakes.

Then get on and ride it until something else needs changing due to wear and tear.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Phoenix864 wrote:

The Pike (http://www.jensonusa.com/Rockshox-Pike-RCT3-29-Fork) is heavier and more expensive than the Fox (http://www.jensonusa.com/Fox-34-Float-F ... 7?cs=Black). Is it really worth it? I will look for different rims. Last thing, did I miss anything in compiling the list? Just want to make sure I am not forgetting anything.

Thanks

The Pike is heavier but the Fox 34 flexes more. I'd take weight over flex