Fulcrum Racing 5 LG Wheelset

markybains
markybains Posts: 37
edited February 2017 in Workshop
I got a pair of Fulcrum Racing 5 LG wheels which I want to service and I am having problems getting the bearings out of the front wheel. Having serviced Racing Three’s in the past I thought that I would need 2 x 5mm allen keys and that I would be able to get the cap off before loosening the adjustment collar with a 2.5mm allen key and removing it. The axle would then slide out the other side of the hub.

I cannot get the cap off though and whilst I can lossen the collar and so increase the play in the axle it will not pass the cap. 5mm allen keys just turn around in the axle and there are no flat sections on the end where I could use cone spanners. Any advice would be gratefully received.

Comments

• keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    Either use more force or the threading is LH and you're turning wrong.
  • markybains wrote:
    I got a pair of Fulcrum Racing 5 LG wheels which I want to service and I am having problems getting the bearings out of the front wheel. Having serviced Racing Three’s in the past I thought that I would need 2 x 5mm allen keys and that I would be able to get the cap off before loosening the adjustment collar with a 2.5mm allen key and removing it. The axle would then slide out the other side of the hub.

I cannot get the cap off though and whilst I can lossen the collar and so increase the play in the axle it will not pass the cap. 5mm allen keys just turn around in the axle and there are no flat sections on the end where I could use cone spanners. Any advice would be gratefully received.

If I understand correctly what you mean, I think I had the same. Messed around with them for quite a while until I realized the caps just need to be pulled off. Takes a bit of effort but after that the adjustment collar comes of and axle can be removed.
  • Thanks for the comments. I'll try this out tomorrow.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    On my cartridge bearing Campag rims, irrc there is a tiny springclip of the mostly invisible variety that you need to dig out before you get to the bearings. I would make sure that isn't the case on these before getting violent!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    Is that new?
    My R5's didn't have it.... older models though.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Keezx wrote:
    Is that new?
    My R5's didn't have it.... older models though.

Possibly under the cap but certainly on fairly elderly wheels (eg 2010ish - but not that likely to change much). You'd need something to keep the bearings in precise position. Thinking about it, logically it would be under the cap and just holding the axle in place.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • My wheels are relatively new, bought them in 2015 I think. The rear wheel axle can be disassembled with a hex key but the front wheel had two plugs that had to be pulled out, they have a rubber ring that keeps them in place. This is the outer most part in this picture:

https://www.qwant.com/?q=fulcrum%20racing%205%20lg&client=opensearch&o=0:578e4169d072244718eaad0051e9d370

After that the dust cap with the small bolt can be screwed off completely after loosening that bolt and the axle removed iirc.

When I was trying to figure out how to remove the axle I did come across different mechanisms for older versions of the wheel so good to check that out indeed.