new fulcrum quattro wheel seized up

chatlow
chatlow Posts: 848
edited February 2017 in Workshop
Got a set of the above wheels which I been running for about 2 months. Been off the bike for 4 days and now all of a sudden the front wheel has seized up and doesn't spin freely.In fact, when the QR is tightened up, it doesn't spin at all.

I have taken a closer look and one side does move but the side with the tightening bolt is solid.

Any idea if the bearings have gone? and if so, is replacing the only fix?

May have to speak to EvansCycles as very new.

Thanks

Comments

• chatlow
    So I just unscrewed the adjustment bolt on this hub and the wheel is free again! That said I am now trying to tighten it enough so that there's no play in the hub and not too much that it gets stuck.

I'm finding that the hub get too tight when the adjustment bolt is fully screwed, so wondering if I can leave it half tightened.

Also curious as to how it got stuck like this. It was stuck under my bike in the car back seat for an hour and praps the bolt twisted?!
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12862394

These are the same hubs as the Quattro pretty much. Has a maintenance guide
  • chatlow
    thanks for that. I loosed the screw and loosen the adjuster so that the hub is free but I can't seem to get it tight enough to stop play but continue to be smooth.

Trial and error I guess.

Anyway, it's spinning for now so happy days
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    chatlow wrote:
    So I just unscrewed the adjustment bolt on this hub and the wheel is free again! That said I am now trying to tighten it enough so that there's no play in the hub and not too much that it gets stuck.

I'm finding that the hub get too tight when the adjustment bolt is fully screwed, so wondering if I can leave it half tightened.

Don't put preload on the bearings with these hubs, the bearings are standard cartridge and cannot be adjusted.
    Thes hubs have a design flaw and will either have preload or a little bit of play.
    A little bit of play felt at the rim is no big deal.
  • chatlow
    Keezx wrote:
    chatlow wrote:

Don't put preload on the bearings with these hubs, the bearings are standard cartridge and cannot be adjusted.
    Thes hubs have a design flaw and will either have preload or a little bit of play.
    A little bit of play felt at the rim is no big deal.

Oh okay. So I was advised to loosen the allen bolt, twist the cone slightly anti-clockwise so it's 'free' and then tighten ever so slightly to the point where there is no obvious play in the hub and the wheel still spins freely without a struggle. Find that point and nip up the allen bolt again.

I thought this was pre-loading the bearings before securing in place.

Wheel seems good now, tiny bit of play but nothing that worries me
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    Little bit of play does not harm, preload does.
    The "ajustment" is for locating all parts on the axle , but a lot of people seem to think there is something to adjust, well , there isn't
  • chatlow
    Keezx wrote:
    Little bit of play does not harm, preload does.
    The "ajustment" is for locating all parts on the axle , but a lot of people seem to think there is something to adjust, well , there isn't

Great - I twisted the cone just enough to stop any bad lateral play but not enough to cause any pre-load. Wheel spins freely and the play is hardly noticeable.

Thanks again :D
  • Did it get wet at all in any of your previous rides? I've found the Quattros to be terrible from a reliability standpoint. Mine have been back for repair twice and I can guarantee it was a single wet ride that killed the wheel each time.

They may be spinning now that you've fiddled but I bet they will seize up over the next few rides.
  • chatlow
    Germcevoy wrote:
    Did it get wet at all in any of your previous rides? I've found the Quattros to be terrible from a reliability standpoint. Mine have been back for repair twice and I can guarantee it was a single wet ride that killed the wheel each time.

They may be spinning now that you've fiddled but I bet they will seize up over the next few rides.

Yeah been soaked last few weeks, but the tightening bolt seems to be the issue. If I loosen it and have the adjustment cone turned so it's just starting to bite, then the wheel seizes when the bolt is tightened again.

I've had to loosen the adjustment cone so there's a tiny bit of play then nip up the tightening bolt.

Think this adjuster was knocked somehow when I had wheel under the bike in the boot and tightened it. Unlikely but can't think of anything else.