Second hand bike is it nicked?

kirby700
kirby700 Posts: 458
edited February 2017 in MTB general
Stopped at a local spot to session it and got chatting to some random guys about bikes. Mentioned that I fancied a hardtail for winter and the guy said he had one and hated it and never used it.

Its a Ragley Marley, right there and then offered me it for £300.00, I took the guys phone number and did ask ask him if all legit and he reckoned it was bought from Tredz bikes and will have a "receipt" somewhere for it.

it just seems too good to be true....
GIANT XTC 2.5
BOARDMAN TEAM FS - NOW GONE
NUKEPROOF MEGA TR 275 COMP
YT INDUSTRIES CAPRA

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Offer him £250 including the receipt.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    According to the Ragley website Tredz is not one of their dealers.

Of course, that doesn't mean they weren't in the past.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    JBA wrote:

whilst you were gooling that, you could have just gone to Tredz and seen they they stock and sell Ragley ? ;) .... 6 different ragleys as well
  • Very cheap if it is legit
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    fat daddy wrote:
    JBA wrote:

whilst you were gooling that, you could have just gone to Tredz and seen they they stock and sell Ragley ? ;) .... 6 different ragleys as well

Damn you and your strong Google foo. :wink:
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    Maybe or not, you try a search on https://www.bikeregister.com/stolen-bikes and see if anything comes up for your area?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Most bike thieves are scroats and the only riding they do is their ill gotten bikes away from the SOTC.

Ask a few questions and get a feel for him, if he knows a decent amount it suggests its legit, the receipt would be the deciding factor!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Don't forget chainreaction were selling them very very cheap a while back (£60), i managed to buy the frame AND build it with bits in my garage for £400. Only built it as a winter hack, so would sell it cheap. (it's not for sale!)
  • kirby700
    kirby700 Posts: 458
    I never bought it. The guy seemed too vague for me and it's just worth the hassle.
    GIANT XTC 2.5
    BOARDMAN TEAM FS - NOW GONE
    NUKEPROOF MEGA TR 275 COMP
    YT INDUSTRIES CAPRA