Will I see the right results?

Hi guys,

I'm using a Cylceops Fluid 2 Turbo and have it hooked up to my laptop by speed & cadence sensors via ANT+. I'm using Sufferfest and have done my FTP which is 306.

Is this accurate as i know it uses virtual power?

Regards

Comments

• It's impossible to say if it's accurate unless you've measured your FTP through another means.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Doesn't really matter if it's accurate. What you want is consistency.

Do a proper training plan and you'll see your power increasing with time. I think Sufferfest has plans - but I have used Trainerroad and that does work.
  • AK_jnr
    AK_jnr Posts: 717
    No its not accurate, but I'm guessing, just like your turbo is!
    As above though, as long as its consistent thats all that matters really.
  • Is it accurate? Who knows! And in the grand scheme of things it doesn't really matter.

What matters is CONSISTENCY. Your FTP could actually be 150 or 350 watts it doesn't matter as long as your turbo setup is giving you consistent and repeatable readings. Then you can track your progress as your FTP (hopefully) continues on an upward trend.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,556
    Hi guys,

I'm using a Cylceops Fluid 2 Turbo and have it hooked up to my laptop by speed & cadence sensors via ANT+. I'm using Sufferfest and have done my FTP which is 306.

Is this accurate as i know it uses virtual power?

Regards

what's 'virtual power' based on?

if it's using the power curve for the specific turbo i'd think it'd be within 10-15% for steady effort - it'll never be perfect, aside from unit variation in the power curve, estimating power this way ignores losses in the drive train and tyre itself

as above consistency is important for training, i'd ignore data until the turbo has warmed up, after that it should be ok
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Done my FTP again and had an increase so must be doing something right, I