Castelli Velocissimo bibtights - pain in the derriere

daniel_b
daniel_b Posts: 11,593
edited February 2017 in Commuting chat
I have a small pair of these from about 2 years ago, very fitted, but a cracking pad, and very comfy.

So when I saw Evans had them on sale for £40, and through work I can get them for £36, jumped at the chance, and ordered two pairs.

Wore the first pair, and thought the pad felt a bit far forward, but assumed that I had not levered myself into them properly, and or they needed to stretch a bit.
Second ride was better, but still not quite right.

Washed both pairs last week, and as a result had them both inside out, as I was putting the washing away.
The pads are different, the original one seems to be slightly thicker (Not an issue though), and most notable of all (for me), is that the pad on the new one, is clearly a good 3cm or so further forward, so not a case of my imagination, or of not having put them on correctly, the pad has migrated forward for some reason, and is no longer supporting me as well as the old pair.

So I am sending the other pair back today for a refund, but will have to struggle on with the worn pair.

Oh and also, the older pair which have had plenty of use are in mint condition, but the new pair that have been worn twice, are already bobbling in the derriere area :?
Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
Scott CR1 SL 12
Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
Scott Foil 18

Comments

• Semantik
    Semantik Posts: 537
    Daniel B wrote:
    I have a small pair of these from about 2 years ago, very fitted, but a cracking pad, and very comfy.

So when I saw Evans had them on sale for £40, and through work I can get them for £36, jumped at the chance, and ordered two pairs.

Wore the first pair, and thought the pad felt a bit far forward, but assumed that I had not levered myself into them properly, and or they needed to stretch a bit.
    Second ride was better, but still not quite right.

Washed both pairs last week, and as a result had them both inside out, as I was putting the washing away.
    The pads are different, the original one seems to be slightly thicker (Not an issue though), and most notable of all (for me), is that the pad on the new one, is clearly a good 3cm or so further forward, so not a case of my imagination, or of not having put them on correctly, the pad has migrated forward for some reason, and is no longer supporting me as well as the old pair.

So I am sending the other pair back today for a refund, but will have to struggle on with the worn pair.

Oh and also, the older pair which have had plenty of use are in mint condition, but the new pair that have been worn twice, are already bobbling in the derriere area :?

FWIW had the same experience with Velocissimo bibtights (womens) bought by my partner- she didn't get round to wearing them in anger but could tell from just trying them on that the pad was WAY too far forward when sat on the bike to be comfortable for her. They went straight back.
    I would take the used ones back and tell them they are bobbling after one ride and they are not a patch on the previous pair you bought because of this and the pad position so you want a refund. Evans are more likely than most, I would guess,to oblige.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Interesting - I havent had the Velocissimo bibs but have had nanoflex bibs using the KISS pad which is the same I think and the bad is a good couple of inches too far back for me. So if they have moved the pad forward, this would be a good thing as far as I am concerned.

Be aware though, that with Castelli the quality control is poor and garments often come out with bad or incorrect stitching - it might be that you just got a duff pair. I would compare the new ones with a second identical pair and if the pad is different between them then show this to Evans and claim they are faulty for a refund. If they bobble too quickly then that might make you think about replacing them with the same though - cant help you there.