New to MTB - Advice welcome!

Leroy73
Leroy73 Posts: 3
edited February 2017 in MTB beginners
Hi guys!

Been wanting to get into MTB for a while and have managed to get some cash together for a bike. The question is which bike do I get?

My budget started at £500 but has since been revised and upped to about £800-900, purely because I am being told by my LBS that I am better off spending the cash now on a better bike with better forks ( air rather than coil ) and better group set/chainset? rather than down the line and having to upgrade at a later date.

The problem I am finding atm is the fact the there is that many bikes on the market, it can be a headache.

This is where i am at atm - Medium frame - 27.5

Bike I have come across / seen in LBS - Thoughts on these bike would be great.

Cube Attention - £699

Cube Acid - £899

Cube LTD pro - is really worth £999

Commencal -META HT AM ORIGIN 650B YELLOW 2017 - 999,00 €

Boardman Mountain Bike Comp 27.5" - £600

Giant - Trek - etc

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I'm sure your LBS would love for you to spend more money.

Take your time, read some of the thousands of what bike threads, and look carefully at what you can get from Halfords, Go Outdoors and Decathlon before you let them part you from your money.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    The Bikeradar reviews page is a good place to start and check out Go Outdoors, Decathlon and Halfords as they have some cracking bikes at your price point
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Have a look at the Trott MTB at Halfords (yes I know it says its for women, but that's just some bits of colour) at £400 it easily outspecs some much more expensive bikes, 27.5, air forks with proper damper, through axle and 1x11 gearing and made by the second largest bike manufacturer in the world.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    Rookie loves the Trotts
  • Thanks for the reply`s guys, much appreciated!

I ended up buying the Calibre Gauntlet 650B.
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    Enjoy riding it then!
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    JGTR wrote:
    Rookie loves the Trotts
    I don't know which of the possible ways to take that....I'll keep it clean!

I do travel to India a lot (but not Delhi).......posting from Coimbatore in Tamil Nadu.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.