Looking to replace Focus - suggestions please

gjh0702
gjh0702 Posts: 52
edited February 2017 in Road buying advice
Currently have a Focus Mares CX that was recommended for the geometry ( I am 60 years old)
Enjoy the ride with safety of Disk brakes but looking for something lighter / faster
Any one suggest what I can look at - max £1500, disk brakes & min 105 or Ismaili group set
Mainly to be used for fitness but also looking to do a few 100 mile sportives this year
Many thanks

Comments

• I'm rather older than you and have a dodgy lower spine. From that perspective I would strongly recommend having a test ride on a Cannondale Synapse Carbon 105, which is in your budget range. It's extraordinarily comfortable over very long distances and a great deal faster than my legs!
  • drwae
    drwae Posts: 223
    mcxfisher wrote:
    I'm rather older than you and have a dodgy lower spine. From that perspective I would strongly recommend having a test ride on a Cannondale Synapse Carbon 105, which is in your budget range. It's extraordinarily comfortable over very long distances and a great deal faster than my legs!
    I have a Synapse and a SuperSix EVO and would recommend the latter over the Synapse if you're looking for something faster any day
    There is a huge difference between the two, SuperSix EVO feels amazingly fast and just goes along, when I got the Synapse I actually got out of breath cycling on the flat for the first time in ages due to its relative inefficiency :)
    Not sure if there is a disk brake version of it though...
  • Canyon Endurace CF SL Disc 8.0
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • drwae wrote:
    mcxfisher wrote:
    I'm rather older than you and have a dodgy lower spine. From that perspective I would strongly recommend having a test ride on a Cannondale Synapse Carbon 105, which is in your budget range. It's extraordinarily comfortable over very long distances and a great deal faster than my legs!
    I have a Synapse and a SuperSix EVO and would recommend the latter over the Synapse if you're looking for something faster any day
    There is a huge difference between the two, SuperSix EVO feels amazingly fast and just goes along, when I got the Synapse I actually got out of breath cycling on the flat for the first time in ages due to its relative inefficiency :)

Wait until you're over 60 and have developed a few back issues, then come back and tell me if you still think the same way...
  • drwae
    drwae Posts: 223
    mcxfisher wrote:
    drwae wrote:
    mcxfisher wrote:

Wait until you're over 60 and have developed a few back issues, then come back and tell me if you still think the same way...

Good point, my father is 60 and the last time I was visiting I bought a bike to leave there, asked him to collect it and he pushed it home after riding it 10 seconds and finding it too uncomfortable!! That was even a Synapse! :)