Rodi wheels

ed325
ed325 Posts: 23
edited February 2017 in Road buying advice
Hi. I have a specialized allez with Axis wheels. I have been offered a pair of Rodi airline 4 wheels i was just wondering if they would be a good upgrade or not ?

Ed

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Unless the Axis wheels are trashed or otherwise unrideable, then I wouldn't regard the Rodis as any sort of upgrade, tbh.
  • ed325
    ed325 Posts: 23
    Ok thanks. I had never heard of Rodi wheels so didn't know if they where any good.

Ed
  • I bought a second hand bike that came with Rodi Airline 4's. Whilst I can't say for sure, the whole bike and the wheels looked like it had done less than 10 miles - completely clean under the mudguards, pretty much untouched brake tracks etc.

One of the nipples split in two on the rear wheel within the first 2 (yes 'two') miles. I rebuilt with new spokes and nipples just to commute on when the roads have been salted. They're okay now and I've done about 1,500 trouble free miles on them, but they will always be bloody heavy - 2.2kg without q/r iirc.

The remaining nipples that I removed looked cheap and nasty - the holes down the centre of each nipple were massively off centre, leaving the wall of the nipple paper thin on one side. I'm sure they would all have failed quickly.

Maybe my set was a one off, but I'd buy something else if I was you.
  • drwae
    drwae Posts: 223
    Look at COSINE 24mm wheels on wiggle. £50-60 depending on whether you have any gold/platinum discount with the £10 off code and superior to the rodis for half the price
    I'm buying a set to replace stock Maddux RS 3.0 wheels on a Synapse
  • Rodi wheels are the stock wheels that come with base Ribble builds (or used to be, haven't checked in a while). They're heavy and slow and wouldn't be an upgrade to many other wheels that's for sure! Good winter wheels though I guess.